Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Bob Hope joking about growing up with six brothers: “That’s how I learned to dance, waiting for the bathroom.”

Happy Birthday Brother.
Good morning folks. I do hope that this day finds you and yours doing well. It is Wednesday, September 3, 2014. My baby brother Donald who passed away three years ago would have been 66 today. We were only two years apart but let me tell you we were light years apart in terms of being different. He was a fiercely independent spirit even from a young age. He more or less liked to run on his own set of rails, so to speak. He had the animal lover gene and it was a mutual response from any and all pets he had. He had one dog named Lobo that was so devoted to Donald that it became well known in our little town. Even as a little guy, he loved to fish. Many times he would come in from school, dig him up some worms and head for the creek. Just him, Lobo, and his time of catching little sun perch. He wasn't inclined to go along to get along. When he graduated from high school he joined the Marine Corp and found an early niche that fulfilled his life for 20 years. He did love the Corp. When he could no longer be as active as he wanted to be he retired. He typically excelled at whatever job he held but his long journey as an alcoholic eventually brought him down, at a much too young age, at least, as we see it. It was my privilege to help some in shepherding him during his final months here on the planet. It was, I suppose, big brother stuff, but today, on the anniversary of his birth, we remember him, his wit, his outlandish comments, and his unique perspective on life. Happy Birthday Brother.

What was I like during those years? Good question. I will reserve my answer to a time when I am laying on the couch talking to the professional shrink. Just joking. I am sure Donald thought I was different as well. We all are. It more or less comes with the territory. That's what makes us all a part of the same race. You know, the human one. I have found one area of specialty within the media world that in many respects has become more liberal than the mainstream news folks. That turns out to be the biggest sports network on TV and radio. When Tony Stewart, the NASCAR driver, accidentally hit and killed another driver during a dirt track race, the tragic incident gave this network the opportunity to attack everything about NASCAR. It's rooted in the South. They have this history of an eye for an eye. The people are less educated and more backward. Then we had the first openly gay player drafted by the NFL. These same folks said that anyone who had a problem with this is a hater and should be thrown out of the sport. Day after day they castigated anyone that might hold an opinion different than their party line. I can assure you it's a party line because they are owned by some of the most left wing people on the planet. Who would have ever thought that a sports network would be used to try and advance all things left and liberal? Pay attention folks, it's not coming soon, it's here, and objectivity has now been put on the endangered species list.

What's that? You think I should make an appointment for that couch interview as soon as I can? I appreciate the concern. Unless something odd happens, which it could, we will conclude 2014 in the Houston metroplex without hitting triple digits. Not even one day. I say this because while it is not unprecedented, it is actually highly unusual and typically if we have not hit 100 or more by the end of August then we will not see it for the year. No. I am not auditioning for a job at the Farmer's Almanac. I am just attempting to keep everyone up to date. No. I do not know the best time for you to plant your fall crops. Maybe it would be in the fall but that's not my area of expertise. What is my area of expertise? Now you have done gone and gotten not only personal but way too technical because as my daily ramblings prove, I really don't know if I have any particular area of expertise. I do know this. I come to you today only by the grace of God. That I am sure of. He can be trusted and I highly recommend that you stay in touch with Him. Now. I've been here, there, and maybe even touched on the everywhere today but I do pray that God will bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: