Monday, September 29, 2014

"A recent report claims that half of Justin Bieber's 73.8 M fans on Facebook are fake. What's even more disturbing is the other half are real." Funny Facebook Posting

Welcome back to the real world. That's how most of us think about it. From our point of view, you know, how things really are. Well, to start off with, X marks the spot where I find myself ready to embark upon another brand new work week here on this Monday, September 29, 2014. The use of Facebook really defines what I would call a love/hate relationship. I continue to greatly enjoy all the family updates. I'm also thankful for the immediate connection when folks call out for prayers for a special need or situation. We have a nephew who is working on a massive drilling rig off the coast of South Korea. He and his family live there. We can almost be there with them as his wife posts their daily exploits, explorations, and the situations their three boys get themselves into. We have many native missionaries that we support in far flung places. Through Facebook we are able to get to know them better, their families, and their daily challenges. Those are the things I love about the network sharing we can do. The other stuff that you have to wade through, well, it might be the things that others do enjoy, but me, not so much. I really am not interested at all in hearing about the family pet and their digestive issues. I'm not inclined to want to see a huge zit that is causing life to be difficult. I certainly don't give a flip for the sharing of stuff that should be kept behind closed doors. And, there's more. But, suffice it to say, I dearly love seeing photos of those we love and at the end of the day, the good does far outweigh the less than good, especially when you really hone your skipping ability. How can one do that? The same way the taxi driver told his customer when they asked how to get to Broadway. Practice....Practice....Practice!

Can you believe October is nearly here? I've not heard anyone humming 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire' but I can assure you that Christmas in terms of the shopping season is already beginning to be represented in some of the stores. As for the schedule for my version of the Jolly Old Elf, we have four sessions booked with several others that we know are being planned. I had wanted to do more charity events but it turned out that the paid events have become opportunities to pay much of the proceeds for income and social security taxes. I may have to incorporate Santa in order to reduce this burden. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining because I understand that when anyone is blessed financially even if it is vis-à-vis something like playing Santa, there are tax implications. I thought since we are old people now that it would work differently. Silly me. I called them and asked about it. The lady chuckled. Essentially, it will go away when our incomes or we go away but not a minute sooner. Maybe that's where the saying came from: The only thing in this life we can be certain of is death and taxes. And, obviously, not necessarily in that order.

I played a lot of baseball as a kid. I was thought to be pretty good at it. I even slept with my Wilson Al Kaline glove.  Today's baseball is not as intriguing to me as it once was. Perhaps it's the performance enhancing drugs, the personal scandals, and all the other shenanigans that make it less entertaining to me. However, last Thursday evening I did watch much of David Jeter's last home game with his beloved Yankees. I'm not sure he deserved a whole month of what has to be one of the longest farewells in sports history, but, he has been a player who showed the best about the game. That is, he considered himself to be very blessed to play it, he respected the game, and his commitment to playing every inning with every ounce of his ability and strength along with his amazing statistics and his five world series rings will make him easily a first ballot hall of fame inductee. Twenty years. At shortstop. That's a lot of wear and tear. David Jeter ended up his storied career by getting the game winning hit. A movie script could not have gotten it any better than that. In the end, as a baseball player and leader of his team, he's the real deal. Good for him. That's the kind of player you can point any kid to. This past summer I did hear his name mentioned several times as favorite player by the kids playing in this year's little league world series competition. That's good enough for me. Take care. Have a great day and keep on keeping on. May God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later. 

No comments: