Wednesday, September 24, 2014

"That sound means time is running out so I'll give the wheel a final spin. You'll ask me to give you a letter and then you'll have five seconds to solve it."

Okay. It's a little cooler and that my friend is a good thing. It should be because we officially flipped the page to the Fall Season, Monday evening at 9:29 p.m. I should have walked outside to see how different it was between 9:28 and 9:29, you know, being that it made that big change. Okay. It's a joke. Don't get all riled up. By the way, I am coming to you today on behalf of Wednesday, and this particular one happens to be September 24, 2014. There's been over 6,000 episodes of The Wheel as it is called since it began back in 1975. There are folks who are very dedicated to watching this program. My mom has become one of them. My wife's mom was a Wheel watcher up until the day she left this world for her eternal home. I worked with an older fellow here at the Company for several years and he and his wife made this their daily 'must see' TV. They even had a special credit card so they could participate in the daily cash drawing. My oh my. All of that is well and good but when The Wheel becomes a trump card, well, that's a completely different story. I was trying to make some information available to my mom on her computer. I had talked to her about it earlier in the day. I got home, took care of it, and called her to let her know she could view it now. She said thanks but she needed to go because The Wheel was about to start. Let me see if I have this correct? At 90 years young she thought watching Pat and Vanna to be more important than talking to her last remaining son? I didn't mind but I will tell you that is the first time I've been bumped by The Wheel.

And, be sure and know that I am more than pleased that she enjoys that program. Trying to solve those puzzles is a good workout for anyone's brain. I had thought that Vanna White must be around 70 by now but she's only 57, having been on that program for 32 years. No wonder people think they know her. She is like a daughter, granddaughter, or maybe even a great granddaughter. I'm like that about my coffee. I know that wasn't the smoothest of transitions but it was time to move on, therefore, that was the best I could come up with on the fly. I did see another posting on Facebook where one of my niece-in-laws said that she had convinced my nephew to convert. No. They are already believers in Jesus the Christ. They have converted to Community Coffee! I would put a bell ringing sound here but that might be a tad too much. When I call my mom on Sunday mornings she often tells me that she is sitting on the side of her bed enjoying her first cup of Community. (For us Community means coffee, therefore, to add coffee to the statement would be superfluous.) Yes, I do know dad doctors it up for her with that hazelnut stuff but it's still Community. And, after all, she gets a pass because at the end of the day, I'm thankful that she is my mom!

Did I know that not everyone likes their coffee exactly the way I like mine? Sure. I know that. It's mostly a joke. You know. My attempt at humor. No. I did not give a lady a lecture in the grocery store because she put one of those big tubs of imitation coffee into her basket. Man. The stuff that gets told on people. Just joking. I've hit on The Wheel, The Weather, and Community Coffee today. It will be pretty hard to improve upon those as topics. I could throw in some political stuff but I try to ration those thoughts because when I use up a good portion of my space on those issues I typically get the email from the wife with a one word reply: Whatever! ~ "First apple: You look down in the dumps. What's eating you? Second apple: Worms, I think." ~ "What do you call a meteorite that doesn't hit the ground? A meteorWRONG!" ~ List of things you can do to annoy others: 1) Begin every sentence with 'ooh la la!' 2) Tie jingle bells to various parts of your clothing. 3) Sit in your front yard and point a hair dryer at passing cars to see if they slow down. 4) Constantly hum the theme from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. ~ Okay. There were 50 listed but those are the ones I chose. I thought there might be a big finish in there but we will have to settle for a quiet so long for now along with a prayer that God will bless us all. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: