Friday, September 26, 2014

“I feel like sometimes I was not meant for this society.....when you see me smash somebody’s skull, you enjoy it.”~ Mike Tyson, Professional Boxer

As the radio talk show commentators like to declare, I'm making today open line Friday. That's right folks. This means for those who have input to this particular electronic page, well, they can bring up anything they want to. This is activated for today, Friday, September 26, 2014. Since I am the only one offering up input, well, you are going to get my idea of open line Friday. Let me tell you something that I am sick and tired of: Dialing into a sports show and finding the hosts trying to act as if they are experts on all the social ills of the day. If they care so much about all of these issues they should listen to the people that advertise on their programs. Seriously. They are concerned about the treatment of women. They are concerned about alcohol and substance abuse. They are concerned about domestic abuse. Suddenly they all think themselves to have been appointed to be Dr. Phil covering all these subjects. Here's the rub. How about all the gentlemen club ads? How about the glamorization of alcohol and gambling of every sort in the commercials that air? And, the outright sexual exploitation implied as they dialogue with callers about cheerleaders and so called hot women in sports? Give me a break! Here's what I say: Show your concern by resigning immediately or shut your mouths because you are a part of the ongoing enabling of all the issues that you want to seem to be so sensitive to. That's my two cents worth and thanks for hosting the open line forum.

I know what some of you are thinking. Why don't I tell you what I really think? It's just so in your face hypocritical. I even read a public statement by one huge ad buying alcoholic beverage company expressing concern over the way the NFL was responding to the domestic abuse allegations within their player personnel. Hello? Maybe they've never Googled the relationship between alcohol consumption and domestic abuse. There's plenty of studies that indicate a correlation. I am not pointing fingers here because I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around, however, as a consumer of information, we all should see things with our eyes wide open. I'm not the least bit interested in having sports commentators expressing their purported enlightened views on what lifestyles and behaviors people should embrace. I even heard one the other day saying that calling boys a sissy or telling them they run like a girl might end up turning them into an abuser. Pretty soon we will all have to read from our 21st century society version of the Little Red Book just to see what words we can and cannot use. Don't know what the Little Red Book is about? Look it up. That should do for today. My rant meter is pretty much used up. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Let me see if I can do a quick transition which will end my open line tirade for today. ~ One day the first grade teacher was reading the story of the Three Little Pigs to her class. She came to the part of the story where the first pig was trying to accumulate the building materials for his home.  She read, "...And so the pig went up to the man with the wheelbarrow full of straw and said, "Pardon me sir, but may I have some of that straw to build my house?'" The teacher paused then asked the class, "And what do you think that man said?" One little boy raised his hand and blurted out, "I think he said "'How do you like that? A talking pig!" Here's one I liked but it might not be thought to be that funny: "It's always hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they're always taking things literally." Okay. One last one for you to ponder. "A truck load of turtles collided with a truck load of terrapins. It turned out to be a turtle disaster." What's that? You thought the ranting was an improvement? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and just so you know, that turtle/terrapin joke was ranked number 47 by researchers who attempted to identify the 50 funniest jokes of all time. I can identify with that turtle disaster collision because that's how I feel sometimes at the end of my blog. I do hope you enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and here's my last warning for today: I will do my best to see you come next Monday morning. May God bless. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: