Monday, September 15, 2014

NBC Middle East correspondent Richard Engel, commenting on President Obama's speech to the nation last week about the terrorist threat: "Wildly off-base” and an oversimplification."

Welcome to my very short week here at the old blogger ranch. It's Monday, September 15, 2014, and I'm anticipating a few days off beginning on Thursday. The wife and I are planning a short road trip excursion or get away as they are called in the travel ads. I'm not sure how to handle so many that tell me that if anyone deserves a few days away, it's myself and my bride. I appreciate it but I sure hope that I'm not showing some signs of institutionalized fatigue or something. I know some of you have been wondering when I was going to say something about President Obama's speech last week regarding the latest terrorist threat. I'm not sure I am a good person to ask. Maybe I've seen and heard too many of his speeches, but, here's my take. Very uninspiring. Discombobulated. It was peppered with disconnected subjects like the auto industry, the economy, and jobs. And, some of what was said just does not hold up under even casual scrutiny. Like the one about how this particular group is not a part of Islam. Hello? They sure think they are and many of their Muslim supporters think they are as well. Like I say, no there ...there. For me anyway. My belief is that the main purpose of the address was to try and do something about his sagging poll numbers. I hope they don't call me because they would have found them sagging even more. Just so you know. Just think what it would have sounded like had I not been doing my best to be kind.

Some may think a 'no comment' would be better. I worked with a fellow one time who said his rule for life could be summarized with this statement: "If I can't say something good about someone I won't say anything at all." Be careful with slogan theology. That particular fellow was perhaps the most outrageous character assassin and slander monger I've ever known. So much so that his slogan became a parody for all that knew and worked with him. It was literally a running joke within our organization. See what I mean? That same fellow also wore his religion like it was some kind of badge. When it came time for some layoffs he begged me to do whatever I could to keep him employed because of his need to work and his family. I chose not to. The reason had to do with the overall impact of his presence. Weighing it all together, it was a negative, not a positive. In addition to that, there were other much more deserving people to try and find a home for. That was way back in the late 1980's but a couple of years ago I heard from someone who had run into this fellow at a funeral. I was informed that this man is still bristling with hatred towards me because I didn't do what he asked me to do. That was news to me. By the way, he didn't lose his job because another group picked him up but here's my point: His slogan and his religion has not kept him from living in hate. Sad. Sad indeed.

That's a long time to carry a grudge, especially when the other person didn't even know about it. I know about it now. I hate that he feels the way he does. I really do. I can't think of anything I might would say to change his mind about what happened. However, I can pray that he would somehow find the peace that God's grace gives. I know the Church he has always attended is sound and solid, therefore, he does know the truth regarding the harm this type of harboring can do. He wouldn't be the first to disagree with how I made decisions, however, I don't know of any others that are still bent out of shape about it, so many years later. Okay. Just sharing. It might help us all to think about how we think about things. I've been there before myself, carrying ill will towards someone who did me wrong. Getting over stuff like that is not easy but it can be done, but, at least from my experience, one needs help from above in order put it behind them, forgive, and move on. That sure beats being weighed down with a heavy load on your back year after year. Here's how Jesus invited people: "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: