Thursday, September 25, 2014

“Lethargy. It's a word I know, because it's in one of my father's favorite expressions. Lethargy breeds lethargy. It means the more you lie around doing nothing, the more you want to lie around doing nothing. Your limbs and your mind feel so heavy that it becomes a major effort just to lift your arm to channel surf.” ― Neal Shusterman, Author

"Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever." That would be a good one for us all to memorize and use it as a way of starting each day. It's taken from the 136th Division of the Psalms. Good morning and welcome to my little portion of God's green earth where I'm sitting here contemplating the day before us, that would be Thursday, September 25, 2014. That little get away last weekend was just that, a time to get away from our daily routines. However, it's taken me most of this week to get myself re-acclimated to my daily approach to adding my participation to the so called rat race of life. My internal clock is doing its thing, and it can be counted on to nudge me awake between 3 and 3:30 each morning. Therefore, I can't fault him. He's doing his job. I just seem to be dragging a tad here and there. Can't put my finger on it, but, if given my druthers, I prefer to be more like the Energizer Bunny than Sam the Sloth. No. I don't know any Sam who is slothful. It's called a literary device intended to convey my point. Maybe I need to follow that well known prescription for wellness. You know the one I am talking about. "It hurts when I do that. Okay. Here's the deal: Don't do that!" I'm working on it. Maybe it's my blood sugar, the weather change, my advancing age, or something new that I haven't discovered yet. Those should keep me busy for a while. Meanwhile, I recommend we all go back and read my opening sentence and get on with it, you know, get out there and 'git r done'.

I don't know exactly what I was doing 40 years ago but I could probably find out. That's because I use an annual calendar book to keep up with my schedules and major happenings and have done so since the mid 1970's. They are all in a box in my upstairs office at home. One thing I can tell you without looking: Our lives have not been one long journey floating on a cloud of happiness and tranquility. We raised up three boys. We've had setbacks in our personal lives, our financial dealings, and in just about every other category one might imagine. Some we can readily earmark as being self inflicted. Other challenges came suddenly and without warning. That's how life goes and that's why that opening sentence about celebrating the mercy of God has special meaning to me. He's been faithful. He's provided a way. He's been there. For the duration. Some want to find a way of saying the good outweighs the bad, but, from my perspective, it's been Him and His mercy that has allowed us to make it to where we are today and it will be Him and His mercy that guides us to our final destination. I've been around people who act like they would never need the mercy of God. Not me. Not yesterday. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever. "Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever." Amen

I hope I didn't offend the Wheel Watching community with my little story yesterday. I hope I didn't offend anyone who actually loves the weather forecasting community. Speaking of community, with a capital C, I sure hope writing about the coffee I drink didn't offend anyone who grabs those tubs with coffee written on them that sit in the middle of the aisles in the grocery stores. My understanding is that most of those big brands are doing quite well. I hope I don't on a regular basis offend those who think President Obama is doing a good job because I don't agree with his policies, his vision, or, his job performance. And, the list could go on and on. Think about it. There are good folks out there who faithfully watch The Wheel sipping on their Folgers while they continue to believe the President is exactly the right answer for America. Good folks. Different in many ways but they are entitled to make those choices and I, for one, am glad they can. I will, however, have to add one last comment about it: They very much are entitled to also be wrong. Just so you know where I stand. One more time. Don't get mad. Get happy. Why? "Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever." Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: