Thursday, September 18, 2014

Happy 9th Birthday to our Alexander Benjamin

It's a happy happy hello day here on this Thursday, September 18, 2014. Today we pause to recognize our grandson Alexander Benjamin's birthday. I remember all too well when he was born. He was a Hurricane Rita baby. The main challenge was having power to take care of him since he had to be under an ultraviolet lamp for a few days. With the help of neighbors, his parents were able to share a generator and take care of his needs. Fast forward some nine years later and we find a fellow called Alex who can be loving, rowdy, rambunctious, and just about every other attribute you might imagine. Since his dad, our Jimmy Sr., lived with us for many years, we became very close to his children. Now that they have moved on we don't see them as much but we still love them all along with the rest of our huge extended clan. (We are blessed!) We are looking forward to picking him up from school this afternoon and going on a treasure hunt to find him a present and sharing a meal (probably fast food) and then we will deliver him to his dad for their family celebration. Happy Birthday Buddy from your MiMi and Poppy.

I will admit that my blogs are all over the place. They are part daily journal where I share personal family insights, challenges, and prayer requests. Some have noticed they feature political viewpoints and commentary. What's that? Feature is an understatement. They also allow me the opportunity to share stories, funny sightings, and other bits of information intended to amuse. Finally, and I am not ashamed of this, they include the essence of what I have found to be the most important element of life itself, that is, a loving relationship with the Creator God through His provided provision, the Lord Jesus Christ. I try not to preach but rather to share what I know God can do in a person's life. And, since I have been a teacher of the Word of God for over 40 years, well, you no doubt will get some of that along the way as well. I would like to think of it as a smorgasbord with all kinds of variety. I said I would like to think of it in that way. I've never been to a place that used the name smorgasbord but I do know it pertains to a variety of meats, etc. If you go to one of those buffet places, you can choose what appeals to you. Feel free to do the same with my blogs. Keep the skip and the delete functions handy just in case. Be sure to take second helpings of the stuff you really life.

What about dessert? Please don't push my metaphor too far. Mine are usually on shaky ground to begin with but hopefully they, for the most part, communicate what I have banging around where the grey cells assemble to mix and mingle. I read a little note the other day where a lady had lost her husband. She went into the newspaper office and asked to place an obituary. They informed her that it was 50 cents per word. She thought about it for a moment and told them to just put, "Fred Brown died." This was upsetting to the copy editor so he told her there was a 7 word minimum. She thought again for a minute or two and finally said, "Okay, let it read: 'Fred Brown died. 1983 Pick-up for sale'. I think I may have seen that lady the other day. She had a stack of coupons she was trying to use at the check out stand. She had two problems going for her. Most of them were either out of date or they were not for the product she had purchased. I had a 7 word minimum for her but decided to keep it to myself. You know. There's always such uplifting and rewarding reading material at your fingertips while you are waiting. NOT! Oh well, she ended up giving me something to mention so it wasn't a total loss. Take care, enjoy, and may God bless each one. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: