Monday, September 8, 2014

"Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport… the thrill of victory… and the agony of defeat… the human drama of athletic competition… This is ABC's Wide World of Sports!” Famous intro written by Stanley Ralph Ross

Welcome back to my little homestead here at the ole blogger ranch where we are getting ready to get ready to deal with the day at hand and it just happens to be Monday, September 8, 2014. After all these years it finally happened. Well, it sort of happened. Last Thursday I'm driving down a major thoroughfare and I encounter something that infuriates every driver. That one fellow in a pickup truck driving like he's gone completely crazy. He is weaving in and out of traffic, driving fast, and nearly running over everyone on the road. But, hallelujah, there he was, a motorcycle cop. He spots the crazy driver and makes a u-turn, sirens blaring and lights flashing, he takes after this fellow. Finally. You know. The question gets answered: Where is a cop when you really need one? He runs that joker down. He pulls him over. I wanted so bad to clap when I came by but something suddenly happened that snatched victory out of the jaws of defeat. The fellow driving the truck was also a cop. I saw and recognized his uniform. He was a sheriff's deputy from a sister county. The motorcycle cop waved him on, turned back around, and headed on down the road. Within seconds, the truck driver passed me again and I suppose he will get home before everyone else. It was good while it lasted, but only for a few fleeting seconds. And, no, there was no sense of emergency on the part of the off duty cop, just driving like he owned the road, and I suppose in this particular case, he did. I hate it when it happens like this!

"Betty Bodder bought a bit of bitter butter. "That butter's bitter," Bodder spluttered, "It would make my batter bitter. But a bit of better butter oughta make my batter better." Then Betty Bodder bought a bit of better butter, better than the bitter butter, and the batter was made better by the bit of better butter Betty Bodder bought." You are supposed to read that one fast. It's an entry from a web based contest looking for new tongue twisters. I thought reading that little ditty a couple of times would get that rogue cop episode off my mind. You don't have to tell me. Rogue may be a little over the top. But, as my mom and granny used to tell me, "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt." I remember Granny Mac being even more brutal because she always told us the story about a girl that was tripped as a joke and she ended up being crippled for life. You know. That went along with all the stories about kids getting their eyes shot out by BB guns. I did make a neighbor kid really angry one time and he shot me in the hand at close range with his BB gun. I used to could find the scar. Now all I see is age spots. Wait a minute. I think I found it. My story is still intact. Boy howdy, he sure was mad. 

Our Madi with our Tiffany
Talk about things that distract. How about a really good distraction? Her name is Madelyn Joy and she will be five in January. Those of you who have read my blogs for any length of time know that I've always called her our 'bundle of Madelyn Joy'. She got to come and stay with her great grand MiMi and Poppy this past weekend. What a little character. She's bright, funny, and always on the move. I do know that she is her mother's child. We should know. Her mom, our granddaughter Tiffany Marrie, well, she was our first grandchild and we did dote on her, like crazy. So much of Madi's personality reflects our memories of her mom when she was the same age. Bottom line, we had a good time and I think she did too. Maybe we'll do it again some day. You know. After I finish the next round of energy pills. Joking only. Have a great rest of the day Monday and Lord willing I'll be moseying up to a digital connection near you come tomorrow morning. May God bless each one. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: