Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Don't talk to me about aesthetics or tradition. Talk to me about what sells and what's good right now. And what the American people like is to think the underdog still has a chance." ~ George Steinbrenner

Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. McNeese Cowboys
Good Wednesday morning here on this September 10, 2014. Nearly everyone loves to root for the genuine underdog. Last Saturday afternoon I happened upon the game between McNeese State University playing Nebraska. Am I the only one that is absolutely knocked down by these huge college programs playing the little tiny schools? I know the storyline. The big schools do it for, well, they do it for, let me see, and this may be my opinion only, but, when it comes down to it, they do it for a guaranteed win. The small school does it for the money and the exposure. And, unless you've been a castaway on an island for the last 100 years, you can be certain that college football at the higher levels is awash with cash, therefore, they have plenty to play around with. At any rate, the little Lake Charles, Louisiana college came really really close to beating the 19th nationally ranked Nebraska team. A touchdown was called back on McNeese and Nebraska scored in the last few seconds to win. It even had the wife in there pulling for McNeese. I know. Occasionally a tiny little school does slay the giant. That too is part of their justification for continuing to schedule games like this. I don't know how much the average game attender pays in total outlay for the game and all the extras, but, my oh my, it just seems hard to believe they pack a stadium to watch these kinds of typically lopsided outcomes. I even read folks on Facebook calling the LSU beating of Sam Houston State 56 to zero a really good game. You can leave me out of good games like that one. Thank you very much.

Mr. Blogger man, do you have an opinion on everything? I'm not sure but I'll think about it and get back to you with my opinions about that question. Just joking. Hey. We all have thoughts that come to mind as we observe things in life. I know from experience that I'm not always 100% in my reading of the facts. And, I do have some preconceived notions that most likely weigh in as I interpret my seeing of things. That's the personalized viewfinder we all have. It comes with the territory. Some like to project the thought that they are unbiased and balanced in their ability to see and report things. I've got a word for that one: Boulderdash! We all got to wherever we are through the living of life and that my friend does provide conditioning along the way. We say we can see a liberal bias in the reporting of the news. They say that's not true. However, they cannot deny the fact that when surveyed anonymously the vast majority of news media list themselves as voting Democratic and as being liberal in their personal views. I don't rest my case, I'm just making the point that being human makes 100% objectivity pretty much impossible. Therefore, feel free to label my stuff any way you see fit because you doing that would also be an exercise of your way of seeing things. Now I am confused. But I do know that I am unanimous in that.

The President now says that he should have paid more attention to the optics surrounding his decision to go and yuk it up playing golf immediately following his somber announcement regarding the beheading by terrorists of an American journalist. There's a number of ways to interpret that comment. Paid more attention to the optics? In other words, he should have known it would have the potential of making him look bad. Okay. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but wouldn't the problem be one that comes from inside of the person as opposed to the optics? The optics made it look like his somber words were meaningless and empty. This leaves one to wonder if the real problem is not with the optics but more so with the heart. But, that would be this particular lay person's way of thinking about it, and, I do recognize that others would see it differently. I don't begrudge the President his time off but folks have always looked for some form of consistency in matching words to actions especially when serious matters are at hand. As it relates to government bureaucrats taking time off, one way of looking at it is that when the President and the Congress are away there's less opportunity for them to be messing around with stuff that tends to muck up our lives. Sounds cynical? Well, I do love cinnamon, if that counts for anything. Take care and may God be honored in the way we do our best to match our words to actions that He is pleased with. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: