Friday, March 1, 2019

I think today is more about 'that' than it is about 'this'.

Hello out there. Welcome. It's Friday, March 1, 2019. I have no idea how someone in a foreign country who lands on my blog copes with my writing style. There's likely no way to translate some of my illustrations, idioms, and southern sayings. Maybe they can get extra credit for trying. What's that? What about people who are able to read English but still are confused by my writings? That is an excellent question. The best I can think of at the moment is an apology. I am sorry for not always being clear and concise. Maybe that's why I occasionally get this type of response, "A little hard to follow but I think I got your point." It's never my intention to obfuscate, but, it too may be a feature of how my mind works. I surely cannot blame it on my fingers. They only do what they are instructed to do. Maybe I write in code without really knowing it. Please don't ask for a key to finding any hidden meanings because I wouldn't have a clue. I did see a survey where Americans put taking a course in writing as one of the endeavors they would enjoy pursuing as a hobby. I probably shouldn't admit it but I did take a university correspondence course on writing for a while. I was still working as a consultant at that time and I wanted to make sure my reports had some snap to them. I remember an assigned short essay I wrote entitled 'The Man In the Rocking Chair'. You guessed it. It was about my grandfather. The teacher enjoyed the sentiment and my heartfelt tribute. She didn't enjoy the structure of my prose as much. I suppose it was just too much dangling for her. That was 15 years ago and when I withdrew they said I could pick back up anytime I wanted to since I had paid for the course. I might think about putting that one back on The List. 

Here's something I wrote 11 years ago at the beginning of March. It's about my mom and her two brothers. They were the only three left at that time out of the 8 born to Granny and PawPaw Mac. Today, we only have Uncle Waymon with us, at age 93. The rest have gone on to their reward. Here's that particular excerpt: ~ Often when I call my mom she has just finished putting together a meal for a former pastor who is practically disabled with rheumatoid arthritis. She also consistently shares prayer requests with me about those she is concerned about. The week before last her younger brother sent me an email and asked us to pray for him because he was preparing to speak to a group of forty who were preparing themselves to serve others in a special way. My wife and I were privileged to honor his request as we prayed for him before his meeting. Mom’s older brother sends out many emails each day, many have scriptures or spiritual truths, words of encouragement, and things that might bring a smile. My point is this: they are all still active in serving in their own special way. I recently heard a sermon talking about Caleb, Joshua’s lieutenant, from the Old Testament. The preacher talked about how Caleb at age 85 was still ready to go to war to possess the lands that God had given to His people. Caleb’s particular challenge was on a hillside and he proudly announced that he “wanted that mountain”. As I listened, I thought about my mom and dad, my two uncles and their wives. Retirement from one walk of life never means retirement or retreat from the calling that God has on our life. The preacher I heard went on to say that old people who have been faithful have something that distinguishes them from others, they have an old faith that has continued to mature and grow even in their golden years. 
~

We've had ourselves an active week, if not all that productive. We did get some things off the To-Do list and that's always good. We were able to participate in the Monday apartment ministry, our Wednesday evening services at our local fellowship, and we had a Thursday evening gathering of friends here in our home. The wife also carried her ladies Bible study to the home of a shut-in who has been unable to attend in recent months. That went very well. The lady who is incapacitated was surely blessed by having her friends with her as they studied God's Word together. Mr. Bentley, our Shih Tzu, continues to be an interesting addition. He is a very funny puppy. We are in discussions about how to break him from being so spoiled. He wants one of us to be fully engaged with him at all times. Now that he has found his voice, he lets us know that. Very loudly at times. People are still reeling when they learn I have a dog in the house. They aren't worried about the dog, but, they are concerned about whatever mental change that caused us to get one. The wife says he is my dog and I say he is her dog. That's the stalemate we have at the moment. At any rate, he has added a dimension of activity and responsibility to our already busy schedule. But, we feel blessed to have him here with us. Okay. I said it. My eldest son often reminds me to remember he is just a dog. He must think I have gone off the deep end or something. And, maybe I have. Stay tuned. Who knows what might develop as we continue this journey? Have a great week ending Saturday,  and may the first day of the week, Sunday, find us all in our places where folks gather to worship and hear from God. Amen. ....More later. 

No comments: