Monday, March 25, 2019

"Things are not always as they seem; the first appearance deceives many." ~ Phaedrus, Roman Poet, (15 BC to 50 AD)

Good Monday morning, it's March Madness personified on this March 25, 2019. I opened that way because it is estimated that some 150 million NCAA Basketball brackets will be distributed and a total of 50 million Americans will bet money as part of this annual tournament. How much would you guess will change hands? The experts say just north of $8 billion dollars. Another factoid to get your day started: According to the organization who tracks betting and its impact, 99% of all casual betters will lose all they wager. That doesn't include the monies paid out to colleges and universities for broadcasting and related coverages. I hope the light is coming on for those who fail to see what's going on here. Supposedly, it's college sports, you know, without the influence of money. Hello? Think again, Bucko! Now we know why there's so much cheating going on and why high profile coaches are being paid enormous sums. Now we know why college administrations are almost always looking the other way. It is the dollar signs folks, pure and simple. Don't think the criminal element is unaware of this potential windfall and they too are pursuing a full-court press at all levels. (Pun intended.) I'm not raining on anyone's parade, just reminding us all of the facts. Oh yeah, one last word, "Go Coogs!"

My eldest is good enough to point out things that show up on this page and are either incorrect or they are very hard to read. He mentioned one the other day that he had to read a couple of times before he figured out exactly what I was saying. I knew which one he was talking about without him even saying it. Why? I had trouble with it too but didn't take the time to rewrite it. I welcome anyone's input regarding the stuff I write about. I might not do anything about it, but, I am always open to hearing from those who take the time to wade through the muddy waters they find in my daily episodes. I've been telling people that I've learned to say 'Yes Mam' a whole lot more since I retired, retired. The wife doesn't think that to be correct or the least bit funny. The 'Yes Mam' reminded me of back in the late 1960s when I reported to a WAC Major in the Public Affairs Office at Fort Polk, Louisiana. This lady had a lot to deal with. It wasn't that easy for women in the military back in those days. She didn't always get the respect she thought she deserved. One day she called me in and told me that she would like for me to set an example for the other civilian employees by saying 'Yes Mam and No Mam' to her. That was okay with me. She had worked hard to get to where she was. She had a masters degree in journalism from LSU. However, she was not a great writer. The Sergeant Major I worked with saw himself as a writer. I often was called upon to take her handwritten notes and his and type them into documents. He was pretty good. She was not a good writer. I mention that because I had no standing to say that except for the fact that was how I read her stuff. I may not have known then, or now, what constitutes good writing, but, I did know when what I was seeing was not good writing. But, that didn't keep me from saying 'Yes Mam and No Mam' to her.

We have been reminded over the past few days of the dangers associated with having chemical plants as part of the landscape within the sprawling Houston metroplex. (This is why we have always been a top target of the Russians in the event of war.) An explosion and fire at a plant on the East Side created a lot of concern for over an entire week. Many schools were closed due to the threat of hazardous particulates floating around in the atmosphere. The folks extinguishing the fire did their thing but the problems kept reoccurring. These plants are needed to make sure we have gasoline when we drive up to the pump. There's also a huge variety of products that use many of the related chemicals. I make a side note observation here. Elections have consequences. In Harris County, the last election swept into office a change to a much more left-leaning, so-called progressive group of office holders. This included the County Judge's position where one of the most respected leaders was ousted by a 28-year-old novice. During this chemical fire crisis, the new judge proved her inexperience and lack of understanding. She didn't even address the situation in a formal press conference for 28 hours. When information is unavailable to the people, they will operate based on what they are hearing in their neighborhoods. Panic ensued. Her predecessor was nationally known for his effectiveness as a leader during times of crisis. As of this past weekend, she was still announcing that her staff was studying the problem. No one would have expected her to have the knowledge and ability day one, however, the issues continue unabated even as I write this today. My point? It is not to beat up on her. She is a very intelligent woman who speaks very well. However, in times of crisis, that, my friend, is not always enough. If I were her I would be doing my best to secure the services of the previous judge to consult with, regardless of the cost. Another of my opinions that will not amount to anything, but, I thought it worth sharing.  May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: