Friday, March 8, 2019

I'm thankful for the heroes of The Faith. Amen.

Honors for our brother-in-Christ R.J. Mitchell. 
Today is Friday, March 8, 2019. One of the things I count as a privilege is being able to support the families of our local Church membership during difficult times. This week alone, we have attended two different homegoing services for members of our Church. On Wednesday, I attended a graveside for a sweet Godly lady who lost her battle with cancer. Yesterday, we attended a service for a one-of-a-kind character who was always effusive in his effervescent overflow of Christian love and kindness. He was awarded the Purple Heart as a result of combat in Korea where he served in the US Army. He had a full and busy life during his 86 year run. He was devoted to his country, his Church, his family, and to any and all in need. His last day was spent helping a fellow believer get their tests done at the hospital, fetching their medications, and getting them back home. That evening he finished his day and went to bed only to awaken in the presence of the Savior he loved and served. He was a one-man recruiting machine for the choir and I was one of his prime candidates. Because of this, we always had a fun time kidding each other. Hearing about his life and testimony reminded me of how blessed any of us are to rub elbows with people of his ilk. We are better for having known Brother R.J. Mitchell. May God comfort his wife, sons, grandchildren, and all those grieving his passing. Amen.

Here's an excerpt of what I was writing about exactly 11 years ago, on Friday, March 7, 2008. ~ My sense of humor may not be like yours and I've often seen cartoons, read punch lines, or heard a joke that was hilarious to me but not so funny to others. We are all put together differently but it does do us good to be able to smile and bask in the life God has allowed us to enjoy.

Mrs. Smith’s elderly husband didn't feel well so she took him to the doctor. After examining Mr. Smith, the doctor asked him to go to the waiting room and send his wife in. The doctor then had this to say, "Mrs. Smith, I’m sorry to tell you that your husband is going to die." Mrs. Smith responded, "Doctor is there anything I can do to help extend his life?" He then said, "Well there are some things you could do: First, you could cook him a wonderful dinner every night. Second, you could give him a nice back rub every night. Third, you could devote your life to doing your best to wait on him, hand and foot." Mrs. Smith indicated that she understood. On their way home Mr. Smith asked his wife what the doctor told her. To this Mrs. Smith replied, "I’m so sorry honey but soon you are going to die."

Billy's father picked him up from school one day. Knowing the acting roles for the school play were being posted that day, he asked Billy if he got a part. Billy enthusiastically announced that he'd gotten a part. "I play a man who's been married for twenty years." "That's great, son. Keep up the good work and before you know it they'll be giving you a speaking part."

Two fellas are fishing in a boat under a bridge. One looks up and sees a funeral procession starting across the bridge. He stands up, takes off his cap, and bows his head. The procession crosses the bridge and the man puts on his cap, picks up his rod and reel, and continues fishing. The other guy says, "That was touching. I didn't know you had it in you." The first guy responds, "Well, I guess it was the thing to do - after all, I was married to her for 40 years." ~

If these are not funny to you, that's okay. I haven't seen them in a long time but they are still slightly amusing to me. And, let's face it. There's not a whole lot of stuff to laugh at in the world we live in today. One of the things I have enjoyed as a retiree is spending more time with the wife of my youth. Part of what we do together is to laugh at our own miscues and follies. Yep. We do have plenty of those to bring a chuckle now and then and it is equally distributed. There's also the complete book of jokes of my own making that only I know about. Talk about some funny stuff! Occasionally, I'll pull one from the archives and share it, but, most of that stuff is for my own private viewing. You don't have a lot of stuff to laugh about in your memory banks? If that works for you, good. But, in my way of looking at it, we all need to be reminded that we in many ways are a living script for a sitcom. It's called 'our life'. Okay, enough of that before someone accuses me of dabbling in psychobabble. I do hope you have an enjoyable Saturday and I highly recommend that we all make it our purpose to show up at the gathering place where folks like R.J. Mitchell join together on Sunday to seek after, learn more about, and, to worship the God who sent and sacrificed His One and Only Son that we might be able to have fellowship with Him. God has promised to show up in those gatherings. That sound goods to me. What say you? Amen. .....More later.

No comments: