Monday, March 18, 2019

“I know there's a proverb which says 'To err is human,' but a human error is nothing to what a computer can do if it tries.” ― Agatha Christie, Hallowe'en Party

Back at it. Yep. It's only your uninvited scribe busily chaining words together on this Monday, March 18, 2019. Last Friday morning I was here in The Home Office when I received an important communication: "What do you think about having some oatmeal this morning?" I responded: "Sounds good" To which I received this reply: "Ok." This exchange took place between the wife and I. I could actually hear her stirring around downstairs in the kitchen. It would be interesting to know how those text messages were routed in order for us to achieve this transaction. Who knows? They had to flow through the Verizon world cloud and then return. Technology. It's something else! Wouldn't you agree? And, just so you know, I do occasionally like a bowl of oatmeal. I read about the fellow applying for a job at a technology sales company. The guy interviewing handed the prospective employee his laptop and said, "Take this and try to sell it to me." The fellow promptly got up and left with the laptop under his arm. This stunned the manager and he called the guy on his cell phone and asked what he thought he was doing, walking out with his laptop, and told him to bring it back immediately. The prospect simply responded, "How much is it worth to you?" One more for the road, "Thank you for calling the Weight Loss Hotline. If you'd like to lose a half pound right now, press "1" 18,000 times."

Now back to the oatmeal story. When it was ready I came downstairs and what to wondering eyes did appear, I was back in Granny Mac's kitchen in the mid to late 1950s. The photo on the left is of Granny Mac and her grandkids, Theresa and my baby sister Kayla. They are dressed for Church. The photo on the right is of my future sister-in-law Dorothy, (Dot), and my future bride, Marilyn, (Lil Bit), and they too are dressed for Church. Their mom had used spit curls on their hair to get them all spruced up. What's the connection to oatmeal? I'm not altogether sure, but, bear with me as I work through this special memory. My grandmother was someone who loved to cook for her family. I can remember on a cold morning she would have oatmeal prepared. She put the raisins in so they would be really plump. She would then have to pick all of them out for me because I was the only one who liked raisins in my oatmeal. She served it with homemade biscuits and fried bacon. My wife was brought up the way my grandmother was brought up, therefore, she had my breakfast prepared just like Granny Mac. My mom used to do it the same way. What did all of these ladies have in common? They loved and served their families and they loved and served their Lord. As I sat there, I had me a big ole cathead biscuit, oozing with butter, stuffed full of fried bacon. I busted some of it up and put it into my oatmeal. When did this happen? Over 60 years ago and just last Thursday. I tried to let my wife know what a special blessing it was, but, I'm sure she couldn't really feel it like I did. Thanks. For the delicious breakfast and for the memory.

Too sentimental? I can't apologize because it's my truth and I'm sticking to it. And, lest you think I am mired in the past, don't count on it. I am very much aware of the here and now. That ticking noise I hear is the countdown to tax filing day. It seems to be getting ever so much louder as the days go by. I might be able to conjure up a tear or two when I think about my taxes, but, it would not be anything like the sweet tears I felt when I had that momentary walk into the kitchen through the backdoor at Granny and Paw Paw Mac's. Of course, age has made this onset sentimentalism even more prevalent. The other day I was watching a rerun episode of NCIS that dealt with Vietnam service folks who did not return. That triggered my thoughts about two of my high school buddies who both lost their lives in that divisive war. I thought about our times together. Laughing and carrying on. One was 20 and the other was still a teenager when they were killed. Memories. Those look backs can be tough to deal with. At the same time, God has given us 'our time' and we have to be about our Father's business. Sometimes, I too wonder about me. I've found that will not get me very far, therefore, I just tell you it's best to thank God for His provisions and to keep on keeping on. I couldn't grab any other cliches' without making my brain hurt, so, it's best to say so long for now and may God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: