Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Why is it that watching The Twilight Zone helps me to figure out exactly where I am?

Vera Miles, Twilight Zone.
Mr. Bently and I at the keyboard.
Yep. It's me again. No. I am not writing from the padded cell, however, that has always been a potential, or, at least, that's what many have predicted. Joking only. Hey, it's Tuesday already and this one has landed smack, dab, in the middle of March 5, 2019. Mr. Bentley and I did watch an old episode of The Twilight Zone in the early hours of yesterday. It was about a lady who had somehow gotten herself into the '5th dimension' where she and an exact replica or double of herself was causing her all kinds of anguish. Vera Miles played the lead female and Martin Milner of '1-Adam 12' fame played a secondary role. It was pretty messed up but most of those episodes were like that. I didn't pay close attention because Mr. Bentley was in a fetching mood. He is 4 months old but he has now learned to tease you when you are playing fetch. He will bring it back to you and just as you reach for it he will pull it away from you and sit there looking at you and I'm not certain but I think he just might be laughing. The more frustrated his so-called masters become, it is the more he seems to enjoy it. Oh well, we have very little point of reference in terms of taking care of a Shih Tzu puppy. Or, any puppy, as far as that goes. We have given Mr. Google a work out trying to figure out how to deal with this, that, and the other. Fortunately, there are a few hundreds of thousands who give pretty good advice. And, for those out there trying to come up with jokes, the answer is NO. We did not claim Mr. Bentley as a tax deduction. He was not in our home long enough. Maybe next year.

I often read stories and anecdotes that are thought to be well written or clever. Here is an unattributed ditty I saw that had been singled out, and, to me, it was amusing. ~ When NASA was preparing for the Apollo project, some of the training of the astronauts took place on a Navajo reservation. One day, a Navajo elder and his son were herding sheep and came across the space crew. The old man, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question that his son translated. "What are these guys in the big suits doing?" A member of the crew said they were practicing for their trip to the moon. The old man got all excited and asked if he could send a message to the moon with the astronauts. Recognizing a promotional opportunity, the NASA folks found a tape recorder. After the old man recorded his message, they asked his son to translate it. He refused. The NASA PR people brought the tape to the reservation, where the rest of the tribe listened and laughed, but refused to translate the elder's message. Finally, the NASA crew called in an official government translator. His translation of the old man's message was: "Watch out for these guys; they have come to steal your land." ~ It's always best to know exactly what is being said before you take it to the masses.

Spring Break in our area is next week. That adds to the irony of me out checking to make sure the pipes are still protected for a potential freeze. I suppose the surprise is why we are all acting surprised. And, my guess is that even after this dip into the cold passes, we will see one or two more before winter has completely checked out. My mom used to tell me they had a freak cold front in August of 1946 when I was born, and, when she brought me home they had to light a heater to keep me warm. I suppose that may explain something about how I became who I am today. Just kidding. With all the other stuff on the list, that one wouldn't even merit an honorable mention. (I did check the Farmers Almanac archives for that area and they have records back to 1945. I did see the overnight temperatures had dropped into the low 60's for several days the week after I was born. I suppose that is what she had in mind since the overnight lows for that time of year were typically in the mid to upper 70's.) I'm not so sure this bit of trivia is of much interest, but, it is a part of my life story. I saw a fellow the other evening on an old re-run of an earlier episode of COPS. He had been beaten up by his ex-girlfriend. He said he was a martial arts expert, but, she got the drop on him. The two lady cops told him that based on his bloody nose he wasn't very good at defending himself. They then asked him why he was even there since she didn't want him there. He said he couldn't help himself because he had always been unlucky in love. He said, "But, what would you expect, after all, I am an Aries." I suppose we all have to blame it on something. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: