Thursday, February 28, 2019

"A fool and his money is soon parted. The rest of us wait until income tax time." ~ copied

Just in case you are wondering, today is Thursday, February 28, 2019. All of those things we had in mind to get done in February, well, as my Grandfather used to tell me, "Son, you had better shift into high gear." I have completed my first pass input for our federal tax return. The wife was over taking care of a shut-in friend of ours. I texted her the early result. She sent back a comment or two. You know how it is. Old people lamenting how the big bad government is taking advantage of us. Not really. Here's a quick analysis. If you intentionally underpay the taxes owed on the income you receive throughout the year, you should not be surprised when you jump back at the results of what you owe. I have been asked, why in the world do you do it that way? That's a good question. I think I convinced myself that it was better for me to have my money and owe at the end than for the government to have it before it was actually due to be paid. That sounds all noble but next year we should be somewhat better off tax wise since I will no longer be reporting the income from my public job. As for how the government treats older people, well, there are many areas where we do get penalized, when, in my most humble and modest opinion, we should be incentivized. I'll leave it there for now and let you think about it. (And, to be sure, I have not completely finished scrubbing the numbers, but, it will not change the outcome significantly.)

And, lest I forget, I am thankful we are able to pay the amount we owe. It's not because we are the best managers of our financial resources, but, rather, it is only by the grace of God and His provisions into our lives. Since that is true, we can take no credit for what little we have because He alone deserves all thanks for it. Take it from me. That's the truth whether folks see it or not. I have been told over the years, by those who are believers, but, wait a minute, I work hard for what I have made and accumulated. You have? Good. Who gave you the wherewithal to gain the skills you have? Who gave you the stamina to put in the hours? Who has provided the economic circumstances that have allowed you to prosper? People of faith in God should almost innately get this. I think there's an interesting passage that speaks to this truth from the Book of Job. This is where we hear from a younger man named Elihu who has been listening to the forth and back between Job and his three so-called friends, as recorded in Chapter 34:

10 "So listen to me, you men of understanding.
    Far be it from God to do evil,
    from the Almighty to do wrong.
11 He repays everyone for what they have done;
    he brings on them what their conduct deserves.
12 It is unthinkable that God would do wrong,
    that the Almighty would pervert justice.
13 Who appointed him over the earth?
    Who put him in charge of the whole world?
14 If it were his intention
    and he withdrew his spirit and breath,
15 all humanity would perish together
    and mankind would return to the dust."

(From the New International Version, NIV)

In other words, we live, breathe, and are able to function as provided by The Creator. I am reminded of that obscure verse that speaks to me regarding the precariousness of life. The Prophet Amos was inspired to provide this insight: "It will be like a man who flees from a lion only to have a bear confront him. He goes home and rests his hand against the wall only to have a snake bite him." (Amos 5:19 from the Holmon Christian Standard Bible) Our pastor also recently mentioned another insight from The Scriptures that does remind us all of Who is in charge of all things. He reminded us of the conversation Jesus had with Pilate: "Then Pilate said to Him, 'Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?' Jesus answered, 'You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.'" One last one for today. I have been teaching from the Book of James in our apartment ministry on Monday mornings. Here is a portion from this week's lesson: "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit'; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.' But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.'" (James Chapter 4, Verses 13-16) This means we should acknowledge The Source of the life we have and thank Him for His provisions. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: