Thursday, June 23, 2016

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" ~ Isaiah 5:20

Spoiler Alert. The next few minutes will be consumed in what can best be described as anyone's guess. Sorry. I've never used that spoiler alert moniker so I thought I would throw it in to get our day started, here on this Thursday, June 23, 2016. Just when you think you have seen everything, the political machinery at the highest levels can still suck all the oxygen out of the room. I'm talking about the released transcript of the Orlando shooter's discussion with law enforcement officials during the time he was holding hostages. The Attorney General of the United States personally announced that certain parts of that transcript would be withheld or redacted as it is called. That went over about as well as a screen door on a submarine. A few hours after all the backlash, mostly from conservative voices, they decided to release the actual transcript in its entirety with no redacted statements. Just think. If something like this had been done by President George W. Bush, the liberal establishment would be calling for an impeachment proceeding. What do we get from media members of the Obama team? A few nods but mostly yawns. They didn't want to use Muslim names and even changed Allah to God in their initial release. (They did not want to connect in any way whatsoever the killer to Jihad.) Even a novice could see that. I'm not going to belabor all of this but let me summarize by giving a rough rendition of what one person said on Facebook. "If the people crossing our borders illegally were ardent Christians who favored homeschooling as a way of educating their children, the President would call out the US Marines." How is that statement connected to this whole matter of Islamic radicalism? Think about it. That's all I can say. Think about it.

Since I came out of the shute, (rodeo reference), this morning loaded for bear, (hunting reference), I might as well add a couple more items to the mix. This past Tuesday was national selfie day. I noticed the photo above of the President posted on Twitter. Some folks look at this and fawn over this contemporary in-the-know man of the culture. Others see the same photo and immediately think narcissim as they wonder what ever happened to the dignity and respect for the office. I will let you ponder which camp I am in. Think about it. That's all I can say. Think about it.

I know that transparency is a good thing in most situations. However, I don't think I will ever understand why people share stuff on Facebook that really does make them look bad. I believe a statement attributed to Mark Twain makes a whole lot of sense: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." Okay. For the purists out there. Some attribute this statement to Abraham Lincoln. And, there's a number of variations on how it is said. My belief is that it most likely is a figure of speech based on the Bible verse that says this: "Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent." (Proverbs 17:28) I'm the first to enjoy a joke on myself but I see that as being very different than putting all my dirty laundry out on the Facebook clothesline for all to see. They tell us that when folks are applying for jobs these days that prospective employers are looking at everything including all forms of social media. I look at some of those postings and I think about that individual in a leadership role, and, the way I see it says that may not be their best foot forward. That's my interpretation of some of the stuff I observe from time to time. You may think differently. Go ahead, but don't come crying to me when your ship fails to come in. I really have no idea what that means but think about it. That's all I can say. Think about it.

I've just finished a search of that part of my memory system where any additional thoughts might be found and it came up with zero hits. That means it is time for me to sign off for today. What's that? Maybe I should have run it earlier, maybe even before I started? That's an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea but it is an idea. I didn't say I would consider it but that doesn't mean it's not an idea. Thanks for tuning in and always remember that I was doing WYSIWYG long before it became the acronym for a printing format. (WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get.) In closing, I will say one more time. Just think about it. That's all I can say. Think about it. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: