Friday, June 10, 2016

"If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." Romans 3:10

Okay. We spin the wheel and find that it has landed on today, Friday, June 10, 2016. You often have heard me say we are a fallen people living in a fallen world. We need only look around to know this is true. The Apostle Paul put it this way in Romans 5, Verse 12: "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned - -" If you really want to see this played out each day, go to the website for the Newseum and click on their catalog of newspaper front pages, you can do so by going to the following link, www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages). They have over 1100 there for anyone to peruse. These are updated daily and include national, local, and international news sources. What do you find on the front pages of America's newspapers? Death, corruption, mayhem, and every kind of deviant behavior imaginable across the fruited plains. I'm not telling you something you don't already know but seeing how pervasive it is calls attention to the magnitude of the sinfulness of our world. It is breathtaking. People taking advantage of others. Innocent lives snatched away. Overflowing prisons. Politicians stealing from the public. Schools cheating on their performance statistics. Companies lying about their products. While it's a desperate situation, it's not hopeless. There's more to what Paul wrote and a few verses later he was inspired to give us all our one and only hope: "But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many." (Verse 15) We all would do well to appreciate the truth and respond to God's provided remedy. Amen.

I'm not trying to be the prophet of doom here, just sharing what I thought about as I looked at all those front pages. I am compelled to remind us all that I know my own self all too well to exclude me from God's true decree about our condition. And, yes, even as one who has put my faith in God's provision, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, none other than Jesus the Christ, I still have to recognize my own sinful inclinations. For believers, He has promised to help us in our struggles and to forgive us when we do miss the mark. (1st John 1:9) I do get weary at times hearing these folks telling people how to live above it all and do so while enjoying perfect health, wealth, and prosperity. Sorry. My experience is not that. It's one of struggle and even defeat but God has always been there for me, to pick me up, dust me off, and get me back on the right track. The Christian walk is one of reality and challenge, not one filled with comfort and ease. Living by the truth means we can know these things and seek His help as we attempt to please Him with the life He has given to us. There may be some who no longer struggle but as for me, well, I imagine I will cease to struggle on that day when I'm absent from the body and present with the Lord. (2nd Corinthians 5:8)

Can you believe it? Another week has evaporated before our very eyes. You think what? I've been all over the page this week? Good. While that may not have been my intention, it more or less defines my life's sojourn here on the planet. All over the page. Discombobulated. Maybe even scatterbrained. I am actually surprised at times by what ends up on the electronic page. I mean that. I sometimes read something I wrote and end up scratching my head wondering where in the world that came from. I wish I could delete the stuff I never intend on writing about. That might clear up some space for some fresh material. Unfortunately, there's a lot of inventory there but our memory mechanism doesn't work that way. Believe me. I know the approach some take is to share just about any and everything. They just lay it all out on social media. In living color, for all the world to see. Some applaud their honesty and forthrightness. I suppose I wasn't put together that way. Back home they used to say it's best to let some sleeping dogs lie. If you aren't familiar with that idiom, look it up. It's not bad advice. I'll let you sleep on that one. No pun unintended. Or, however, that is supposed to be said. Take care, enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I'll see if there's anything left for me to share come next Monday morning. Lord willing. Of course. Until then, may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: