Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Here's a funny one: "Caution Men at Work" (Women work all the time, men have to put up signs when they work.)


I didn't flip a coin this morning but I decided to show up anyway. I am thankful that I was able to get up and go on this Tuesday, June 28, 2016. It seems like everywhere you go there are warning signs. I was on the road the other day and I passed through a small town. I stopped at a chicken joint. They have these chicken sandwiches for $1.59 each. The chicken is about the size of a large coaster for a glass. I get the chicken with mayo, no lettuce. Two of them for lunch. While I was waiting for them to fry up my coasters I saw this sign hanging over by the drink machine. It was in large dark letters. It said that if you ask for a water cup but fill it with soda, you will be charged. No exceptions. That was followed by a half dozen exclamation points. I had my own drink in the truck but that sign did get my attention. The commentary in today's title had to have been written by a woman. I saw a few more out on the internet. ~ Please don't throw your cigarette butts on our floor. The cockroaches are getting cancer. ~ Touching these wires could bring sudden death and a $200 fine. ~ Warning: If you can read this sign, take note, you are within range. ~ Then the classic spelling and grammar errors. ~ Please slow drively. ~  Church sign: Remember God does not make missteaks. ~ School sign: Welcome back. We hope you hade a good brake. ~ Finally: We guarantee fast service no matter how long it takes. Maybe I could use one of these when someone asks me what my sign is. That might not work. I don't think I've ever had anyone ask me what my sign is. All this time.

One of the ways we mark time in our sojourn here on the planet is in our having to say goodbye to friends, family, and those near and dear to our hearts. We have a dear friend we've known for nearly 40 years. We and his family have been a part of our Church family for most of that time. Bro. Ken Owen left this life for his real home last Saturday night. He was a larger than life person and those who met him or knew him were destined to never forget him. Together, we essentially saw our children grow up, get married, and have children of their own, and the grandchildren have children. He was blessed with a good run. He was faithful. He was committed. He was interesting. He loved a good story and a good laugh. He served the Lord through our local fellowship in a number of different capacities. About a year ago he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The future looked bleak. Yet, he and his lovely bride Annette have shown courage and grace during this very difficult time. One thing we all will not soon forget was his desire to be with God's people at the gathering place each Sunday. Even when we could tell he certainly didn't feel like it, he came anyway. He was loved. And, he was blessed to know that he was loved by so many. May God comfort his sweet wife Annette and all their wonderful family. Amen.

As we deal with all that life brings to us, it's helps to know that we know our future when that time comes for us to say goodbye world goodbye. We were informed about Bro. Ken's passing last Saturday night. The rest of the night I had thoughts about him and what it must have been like for him to experience the end of his faith. The Apostle Paul was torn when he thought about leaving this world to be with Jesus. He said it would be oh so much better to leave. However, he also knew this timing was in God's hands and as long as he was left in this world he knew he had a work to do for his Lord. (The Epistle to the Philippians, Chapter 1) The words of Jesus also came to my mind, "That where I am, you may be also.") That's from John's Gospel, Chapter 14. It's there that Jesus told His followers that He would be leaving to prepare a place for them. He also assured them that if He left He would come again to fetch or bring them into His presence. I will be the first to confess that I do not have a clear understanding of how this works. Yet, by faith, I know it to be the reality of the destiny of every person who has accepted God's offer of salvation through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. God knows very well that we will sorrow when we have to say goodbye here. Yet, the words  of the Apostle Paul speak the truth and testify of our certain arrival at that place Jesus has prepared for us, "But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus." (1st Thessalonians 4:13-14) Amen. ....More later.

No comments: