Thursday, June 30, 2016

"One day, someone showed me a glass of water that was half full. And he said, 'Is it half full or half empty?' So I drank the water. No more problem." ~ Alexander Jodorowsky, Chilean film and theatre director, screenwriter, playwright, actor, author, poet, producer, composer, musician, comics writer and spiritual guru

It's Thursday, the 30th and last day of June, 2016, a very good day as I see it. We have changed our schedule to better reflect our work requirements. This means I will be off Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and also on Monday as we celebrate the day set aside to recognize our nation's independence. (4th of July) I say a good day only because it will give me a break from my regular routine. At the same time, I am fully aware that our guys here at the Company need as many hours as they can get to help support their families. I continue to pray that our workload will increase. Am I saying I actually pray about the well-being of the enterprise I work for? You betcha. Every day. The folks here at the workplace are likely wondering how much training I will need when I return next Tuesday. You know. Out of sight, out of mind. Take that old saw and add my age to the mix and it does make one wonder. The out of sight out of mind idiom has been around a long time. At least as far back as the 13th century (1200's). It has to do with connecting the mind and remembering with absence causing one to forget. I actually didn't need an explanation for how it came about. I have a more literal living demonstration of exactly how it works showing itself much more often than I would like to say. The good news is that I don't always remember how often I don't remember. That helps. It really does. I feel better already. I'll try to remember to remember exactly how I made myself feel better. Thanks.

I know what many of you are wondering. What in the world will I do with myself with four consecutive days off? We may have some pre-set commitments, therefore, the schedule will more or less take care of itself. If that doesn't happen I will most likely make it up as I go along my way. I have to really work hard to get ready to do something different than my regular routine. I had something in mind last weekend but the wife already had a lot going on so I ended up not acting on it. That was my attempt. She wasn't altogether happy when I told her I had something in mind for us to do. She said she needed more notice than to announce it on Saturday morning. Oh well. I really do hope the thought that counts will be of some value. Speaking of that, the thoughts deal, it seems that I see more and more people asking folks to send them some good vibes on behalf of an illness, situation, or problem they are dealing with. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what they are talking about. I do believe in the power of prayer but the sending of good vibes, as I see it, is very different. I Googled it and there's a whole lot of folks asking for them. Good vibes. One even said if you can't send good vibes but you are into prayer, you could do that as well. I read one place that it has something to do with transmitting positive emotional signals. Since mostly younger folks are the ones seeking these good vibes I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary. Here is what it had to say: Meaning all of the people, places, ideas, and possibilities that evoked positive, safe, happy sensations. Good vibes indicated a "green light, go for it" type of decision and described synchronicities, beneficial encounters, and sensations of protection and grace. I think I will just stick to prayer. God said we have access to His throne of grace through His Son. I feel very confident in Him. Not the other. Sorry to disappoint those who are still waiting for any of my vibes floating in their direction.

There are times when I am not the least bit disappointed that I am out of sync with the modern culture. I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all. Think about it. I've never even once desired to buy me some skinny jeans. You can quote me on that. It's never even been on my radar screen. I know who Taylor Swift is. I see her name in the headlines quite often. I'm not sure I could name one song she has ever sung because I can't remember ever listening to one. To my knowledge, no one has been harmed by these admissions. I could go on. And on. Just how out of touch am I? I wouldn't even hazard a guess but I do know what every man, woman, boy, and girl needs. We all were born with that need. It came with the package of being a part of the human family. It's a sin issue. We all have it. It can only be dealt with by coming to know God through His very own provision gained by the sacrifice of His One and Only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. That, my friend, is a universally shared need that every person breathing air on the planet can identify with. It is our common ground. There it is. The Cross. We used to sing a song that said the ground was level at the foot of the cross, meaning that any and everyone can stand completely equal in responding to God's offer of salvation. That's not good vibes, that is Good News! You know, as in John 3:16. Okay. I'll let us all ponder that for a while and see what we might come up with for tomorrow. Take care and may God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: