Wednesday, June 29, 2016

God is good. God is great. Let us thank Him today. Amen.

Today. That's what we all have on our agenda. This one is labeled as Wednesday, June 29, 2016. I know a lot of folks are really stirred up about the upcoming presidential election. They are posting stuff all over Facebook in support of their particular leanings and much of what I see each day most likely lacks proof or justification. That's our freedom of speech. The thought came to me the other day when I was discussing with our eldest my own frustration with this unprecedented mess, how that our faith has a different analysis of the situation. I began to consider what we know to be the truth. In the Book of Daniel, speaking of God, we read these words, "And he changes the times and the seasons: he removes kings, and sets up kings: he gives wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding: He reveals the deep and secret things: he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him." (Chapter 2, Verses 21-22) The Apostle Paul was inspired to preserve these words, "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." (Romans 13:1) The UK has voted to leave the European Union. The world is in turmoil. Yet, God is still in control. The stock market is volatile. Several trillions of dollars have evaporated. Yet, God is still in control. We can be sure of that and we can join with the heavenly hosts in declaring this truth, "You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for you have created all things, and for your pleasure they are and were created." (The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Chapter 4, Verse 11) This doesn't mean we don't participate in our political process because our ability to do so is a privilege and blessing. However, we do so with faith. Not in the institutions of humanity or in the instrumentality of human wisdom, but, we put our faith in the Everlasting God. Amen. (And, thanks for reminding me of this!)


If you didn't need to be reminded of that. Good! Don't worry. I did. I think that is the origin of quite a lot of the subjects I share. They become encouragement, beginning with me. That is part of what we are called to do. To build each other up in the faith. Any of us can become weary as we see all that is happening around us. Over the past few weeks I've heard more and more folks who have lost their jobs. Their world has changed. Some have expressed confusion since they had gone above and beyond to give of themselves in their respective workplaces. They are feeling let down. God is still in control. He does know all about it and He cares. I've been in that very situation. I know that feeling of emptiness and desperation. That's why we need to remind each other of the truths that transcend our difficult experiences in this life. I hear people say this is not a good time to be bringing children into the world. I understand that sentiment, but, at the same time we all know that God has a plan and purpose, and for those who are His own, He desires to work in our lives. Even when things are tough. I've been encouraged as people have demonstrated their faith in dealing with great adversities. He is still at work and He is still working all things for the good of those who love Him and are the called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28) All things. Not just good things. All. We can depend on Him. Amen.


I didn't set out to give a sermon outline in today's visit. I opened the page and this is what came forth. I know these truths remembered have spoken to me. I know that God speaks through His Word. Therefore, I could never apologize for sharing His Word because it sets forth the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, regardless of what might be happening in our lives. I also know that knowing the truth doesn't make it easy as we try to put one foot ahead of the other. We live in a fallen world. There is pain all around. None of us are exempt. I was told just this week again by my lovely mother, who, at 92, mentioned these words, "I just don't know how people can make it in this old world without God." Sadly, there's many who are trying to do just that. Meanwhile, we may go through tough times and we may have to deal with unexpected trials, but, that will never change who we are in Christ, His care for us, and His ultimate plan for our future. A number of years ago I was asked to try and comfort someone going through a really tough time. The person who asked me to contact them added how they were hurting so badly they certainly didn't need to hear anything about God. I told them I didn't see how I could do that. Folks, whether it's me or you, the song is still true, "Jesus is right for whatever is wrong in your life." Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: