Wednesday, June 22, 2016

“Calvin : There's no problem so awful, that you can't add some guilt to it and make it even worse.” ― Bill Watterson, The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

I've heard all my life the saying that one can run but they cannot hide. It is attributed to the great champion boxer Joe Lewis and it was his way of warning a potential adversary. I'm thinking some about this matter of being unable to hide as I open up today's session on this Wednesday, June 22, 2016. The other day I came in from being out on the road when one of our Hispanic welders was chatting with me. He asked if I had brought donuts. Donuts? No. Why did you ask? Well, he informed me that he had spotted some chocolate icing on my white beard. I told him he was as bad as my wife. Yes. I had bought a small Swiss roll and truth had found me out. It suddenly dawned on me the exact meaning, at least for me, of that running but not being able to hide. The white beard. It did me in again! As a diabetic, I am already somewhat sensitive and at times maybe even a little guilt ridden when I waver oh so slightly off the reservation. The truth is those little Swiss rolls had very little icing on them at all. It had melted to the paper while on the shelf in the C-store. There wasn't enough to even say Grace over, yet, a small chunk found a way to attach itself to my shiny white beard. Just my luck. When I told him he was doing my wife's duty he laughed and laughed. I am kind of glad he caught it before I got home with chocolate on my breath, so to speak. I don't think they have a breath test for chocolate. Do they? I most likely need to check that out. I'll add that to my list.

Good things may come to those who wait but they also just might show up for those who moan and groan. I've burned enough keystrokes devoted to the machinations involved in my coffee making experiences to last a very long time. Well, my eldest son having heard enough brought his old Keurig to the house on Sunday for me to bring to work. He has a newer even fancier unit at his place. His old Keurig is a huge upgrade, even to the one I have at the house because it has a specific temperature setting. I now have this digitally controlled device and when I got it all setup and ready, at 192 degrees, it made one of the best cups of Community Columbia blend I've ever had. Thanks ever so much. I now have this great unit and one single serve backup and two each drip style including a Jeff Gordon drip unit in case all else fails. That complaining reminds me of an incident that happened way back in the olden days. I was a young guy working on a construction job that used a lot of earth moving equipment. I was the helper to the head maintenance supervisor. We took care of the maintenance on all the equipment. We did our work in the evenings. One night we came into the shop. It was maybe 28 degrees. I was going on and on about the wind blowing and how cold it was out there servicing the equipment. The night superintendent came over to where we were talking. He looked at me and then he looked at all the other fellows and he said this, "Would somebody give this boy a quarter and maybe he will shut up." They all laughed. I didn't. However, I am so thankful my son heard my sad story and had compassion.

Scientists think they may have discovered the gene that causes some people to be more chatty than others. There's actually some really good news here. If they can isolate this particular protein and increase it in certain individuals who suffer from diseases like Autism, it could help them to be able to communicate better. And, yes, for those who have trouble socializing, this could eventually be a help to them as well. I know I talk a lot. Many people think I am a talker. I obviously communicate often on the electronic page. But, I do have trouble seeing myself as being chatty. That just seems different to me. Maybe it's the socializing aspect because I typically see myself as much more introverted than others see me. They think that I am Mr. Talk-man ready to interact with anyone at anytime at the drop of a hat. That is something I feel obligated to do at times but it may not be reflective of the real me. Now that is a good one. The real me. Some of you may remember that old TV show, "Car 54, Where are You?" Maybe I could do a remake: The real me, where are you? I would continue this retrospective analysis but I can see that it's time for someone else to lay down on the doctor's couch. All of this reminds me of how the inspired Word of God speaks about the most important thing and that's not so much knowing ourselves, but rather, it is knowing that we are known and loved by Him. (Galatians 4:9, 1st Corinthians 8:3) I'll go with that one while I contemplate all the other mysteries that make up me, myself, and I. Remember to be thankful to God and to seek His help for our nation. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: