Monday, June 20, 2016

Reflections from the man on the street as he surveys his former neck of the woods, his old neighborhood, or his previous stomping grounds.


***Today we send out a special recognition and blessing for our eldest, Chris and his wife Sherrie. They are celebrating their 30th year of being husband and wife today. I know that is a milestone for them but its also incredible for us to consider as well. We are so thankful for their time together, the family they have been blessed with, and the testimony they have of serving God and others. May He continue to bless is our prayer. Our love, mom and dad.***

I suppose today we will all find out if I was able to harvest anything of value to share. That's one way of looking at it on this Monday, June 20, 2016. The other day when I was walking around on the streets of Houston, I noticed something. People appear to be heavier than I remember some 23 plus years ago. I was on those streets a lot way back then. Let me state upfront that in the interest of full disclosure, that even though I'm some 30 pounds lighter than back then, I could still benefit from taking off another 6 to 8 pounds. At the same time, seeing those I met and those I saw on the other sides of the street, well, it was something I did take note of. The next morning I saw a brand new report in the online Washington Post. Here's the opening quote from this report: "The majority of Americans weigh too much. In 2014, 72 percent of American men and 62 percent of American women were overweight or obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." This factual report flies in the face of a survey taken in 2015 where 56% of the respondents thought their weight was 'just about right.' My interpretation of what I was seeing on the street was proven in this story because it documented the actual averages of the significant increases in these numbers over the past 20 years. I can tell you from experience that I am typically the last to admit the facts about my own situation. One of the most frequently heard pieces of advice I get from my better half, "Don't you think you should have that seen about?" I suppose the big questions have to do with the causes of this unprecedented increase in overweight people. Even the military are saying this could be a huge problem in providing an effective military force in future years. I know we hear all kinds of reasons. Lifestyle. Fast foods. Too much TV. Not enough exercise. Depression. The fat gene. Stress. And, the list goes on and on. For me, it's typically a discipline problem. Paw Paw Mac used to say if you want to lose weight then you have to learn to push. Push away from the table. He had an abundance of just plain ole common sense. (The origin and history of all the figures of speech used in the title are available online if you are interested.)

New news on the coffee front. The World Health Organization has issued a report that says coffee likely does not cause cancer. Yippee! But, there was a twist. There's always a twist. Why is that typically how it works? It seems those who drink their coffee really hot may be at some risk of cancer to their esophagus. Guess how yours truly likes his coffee? Really hot. I looked up the temperature they used as a guideline and converted it from Celsius to Fahrenheit. It seems that drinking coffee at anything above 145 degrees Fahrenheit could be problematic. The optimum brewing temperature is between 195 to 205 Fahrenheit. The recommended drinking temperature is between 120 and 140 Fahrenheit. I am going to guess that mine falls within that guideline. At least we have coffee off the cancer list. For now. Writing about it has stirred up my taste, therefore, I'm going to make me a cup of Community and hope that when I drink it, it will be less than 145 degrees. I'm going to do my very best to not let that temperature warning mess with my mind. I will try. I will.

You know it's bad when you hear this from a younger person, "Does anyone know of an uninhabited island I could move to until after this election is over?" This recent mass killing in Orlando continues to remind us all of the danger faced in this fallen world. Our President seems always to blame someone other than the perpetrator. He points the finger at Republicans, the American people, those who own guns, Christians, and anyone else who does not buy into his philosophies. Even some of the liberal media outlets are saying, "Enough already!" He said the shooter was radicalized by the internet but he didn't call for banning the internet. Mike Huckabee recently commented on how the government has asked people to be alert and to report to the authorities if they encounter something suspicious. He said unfortunately it typically goes like this, "Goverment: If you see something, say something. Citizen: I see something. Government: You bigot!" My heart does go out to the families who have suffered such horrendus tragedy. I suppose for those of us backward folks who, as our President says, cling to our Bible and our religion, well, I think doing what The Book says is in fact the only way to see any hope going forward. I wonder if that younger person was able to locate more than one of those isolated islands? It's a thought folks. One I can understand. Take care and have a wonderful rest of the day Monday, and may our Great God intervene on behalf of His own and our great nation. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: