Friday, March 20, 2015

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil." (Ecclesiastes 4:9, ESV, English Standard Version)

Yesterday marked two weeks since the wife's surgery. She is some better but still dealing with a constant state of feeling nauseous. We will be seeing her surgeon this morning for a follow up. Thanks again for all the prayers and support. It is Friday, March 20, 2015, and I'm definitely showing some wear and tear from having my help mete incapacitated. It's not that she requires that much because she really doesn't. It's the way in which our whole way of life gets altered when things don't function like they normally do. Little things. Medium sized things. Big things. They all take on a different dimension when things are out of whack. The wife is not one to practice restraint and I know I will be doing my best to get her to pace herself as soon as she is able to get up and move about. I keep reminding her about the full recovery time being six to eight weeks, or longer, depending on the individual. At the same time I am reminded of so many we know, so many near and dear to our hearts, who have had to make the transition to being alone after having lost their spouse. Ours is a temporary situation while the others require long term adjustments that are difficult at best. My heart goes out to them, in our family, in our Church family, and those we are acquainted with that have this challenge in their lives. One thing I do see as a consistent principle in the Scriptures is how God reveals a special place in His heart for those dealing with that circumstance. May God help and heal is my prayer. Amen.

I suppose if you are into observational commentary like I am, the longer you hang around it's the longer you have to see and analyze things. One thing I can tell you as both an observer and participant is that texting while driving may be the biggest threat to safety while out on our roads in my lifetime. It is insidious. I see it every time I am out and about. It is not restricted to age or race. I do know that even talking on a mobile phone while driving can be a distraction but I am 100% convinced that people who text while driving are asking for it. And, that might not just be for themselves because it's all the other folks in and around them who are at risk. I literally see it almost every single time I go out. Just last week I had this young lady, maybe college age, who actually nearly ran over me twice because she had her mobile device firmly planted in the middle of her steering wheel. She first pulled over on top of me to get into a turning lane. Once she turned she got into the wrong lane for accessing the on ramp to the freeway, therefore, she jerked her vehicle on top of me the second time. Here's the deal. When I got beside her she was totally oblivious to what's going on. She didn't even know anything because she was typing into her phone. I'm no campaigner but this one is headed for the big time and while I'm not a believer that government can solve all our problems, there does need to be some type of law enforcement action, before it's too late, if that's not already the case.

The fuddy duddy view from here!
What's that? Do I feel better now? I do but let me tell you what worries me the most. Our children, grandchildren, and their children. That's my big concern. Let's face it. Around this bonkers crazed metro-plex, it's already dodge ball time just to get out on the roadways. You need your A Game every time you show up. If this texting while driving continues unabated with no constraints I can't even imagine how much more dangerous it will be for those learning and joining as new drivers. But, that's just my old fuddy duddy view of things to close out our week together. You never know what a day might bring. Last Sunday I had my Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes all laid out along with my lesson materials ready to go. Instead, I spent the better portion of the day in the Emergency Room. I appreciate those who scrambled to cover for me. Here's my plan for this week: I'll go through the same routine and be ready just like before. Being intentional about showing up for worship of the Lord with God's people is my suggestion for us all. But, you knew that one already. Take care and I'll be hoping to see you next time on this same station, Lord willing, of course. May God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: