Friday, March 13, 2015

An elderly woman called 911 on her cell phone to report that her car had been broken in to. She is hysterical as she explains her situation to the dispatcher: "They've stolen the stereo, the steering wheel, the brake pedal and even the accelerator!" she cried. The dispatcher said, "Stay calm. An officer is on the way." A few minutes later, the officer radios in. "Disregard." He says. "She got in the back-seat by mistake." (copied)

Good morning and welcome back to the real world adventures from the geriatric brigade. The wife was still ailing some, so the other evening I stopped by to pick up a family fish dinner from the fast food fish joint for our Wednesday evening pot luck supper at our local fellowship. When the young man tallied it up I asked if he was going to give me the old people's discount. He said he would if I wanted him to. I asked if he could tell that I was entitled to it. He said perhaps he could but he had been instructed not to give the discount unless it was asked for. At least I didn't have to show my driver's license. That's the way the cookie crumbles in my world and I do bid you a big ole howdy on this back-to-work Monday, March 16, 2015. I wasn't upset at all with that young man for following instructions. I know my wife wishes that I would. Here's how it goes. She opens the cabinet in the kitchen and announces that she knows I have opened a box. She declares that tidbit based on the fact that, according to her observations, the box was literally ripped open and will never be able to be properly closed again. Why all the details? It wasn't a hit and run accident. No wonder we now have 22 plastic containers with lids on them that require needle nose pliers to open. Maybe I need one of those light bulb coming on moments. Preferably before I rip open a box of cereal.

When I think of all the things I could have been good at it makes me wonder why I never pursued them. Things like opening boxes properly. Learning about how fitted sheets work. Discovering why it's against the law to remove those tags on a mattress. Maybe I could have learned why being patient cannot be acquired with a snap of the finger. There's so many others but I think you get the idea. We all live with those things we wished we would have learned, would have worked on, and those that we could have become effective in doing them. It's like that famous scene in 'On the Waterfront', the 1954 movie starring Marlon Brando. That movie was loaded up with great actors. Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb, and Rod Steiger, to name a few. I suppose we all can identify with Marlon's character Terry when he pronounces a summary of his life: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley." I had thought of that quote and that's what got me started on this paragraph and I did want to use it and that's why the rest of it doesn't make much sense. So, sue me.

On my way home the other day I listened to an old time radio program on my little satellite receiver. It was the Red Skelton Show from February 17, 1942. They were making jokes about the recently instituted Daylight Savings Time. It had been put in place to help save electrical usage as part of the wartime effort. (The history of daylight saving is pretty interesting. It officially began in our nation in 1918 in support of WWI and after that it has developed into what we have today. More information can be found at: timeanddate.com.) Red said you could tell you were on daylight savings if when you got up in the morning it was darker than when you went to bed at night. I can identify with that one as I use my little flashlight to unlock our shop building here at the Company. It was just beginning to be less needed and then we changed the clocks and I was back in the dark again. But, as you can readily tell, being in the dark is nothing new to me. Maybe that's why I don't open boxes the right way. Being in the dark makes it harder for me to see how. She does read my blogs. Let's see if she buys that one. Then we can move on to fitted sheets. Until next time, may God watch over us all is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: