Thursday, March 26, 2015

Nutritional Slogan: Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.

I am trying. No. I'm not talking about how the wife says I can be very trying at times. I'm talking about working on my weight and dealing with my diabetes. I am trying. It's not always easy. This is my lead in for today, Thursday, March 26, 2015. Welcome one and all. The other day I was out on the road and I stopped at a chicken joint. I told the fellow I wanted one chicken breast, one coleslaw, one small unsweetened iced tea, and no roll. He got very stirred up and pointed out that I could have two pieces of chicken, two sides, a roll, and a drink for only ten cents more. I told him I knew that but I didn't want the other stuff. I then explained why I had ordered the way that I did. He had what appeared to be a light bulb moment and suddenly he was very impressed. I had mentioned to him the wife would have been proud of me. He ended up encouraging me. I was telling the guys here in the office about it and one of them said the fellow's initial reaction is why America is losing the battle against obesity. I'm not sure about that but I do know there was a time when the second option he offered would be the one I would have gobbled up. Figuratively and literally. You do know exactly what I mean. Right, Vern?

Don't even think about getting worried about me becoming one of those food police people. In my case I'm going to do my best to stay with the good foods that I have long enjoyed but I'm going to do so with as much moderation as I can muster. And, I can tell you from experience that the moderation mustering endeavor is not always successful. Knowledge. It's a powerful tool, therefore, me knowing about me and my situation becomes a strong motivator in the food choices I make. I remember a primary care physician I used for about twenty years. He wasn't really my primary care because they only called them your doctor back then. (I believe it was less expensive before they became primary care physicians.) I was in his office one day and I made the comment that I knew he was going to tell me that I needed to do something about my weight. He said his way of looking at it was that I would do something about it when it became an important issue to me. I guess I've hung around long enough to see the wisdom in his words. I need to find that information about folks who have extraordinarily heavy bones. I can remember a time when that kind of data came in handy when explaining your weight. Stay with me Vern. Okay?

I still like the little old lady nurse who works with my current primary care. I responded with alarm when she announced my weight. I protested. I told her it certainly wasn't that when I weighed at home. She very politely asked me what I wanted her to write down. Who said the era of the customer-is-always-right is no longer being practiced? I think the slogan from the heading on today's episode pretty much nails it. Regardless of what I write down, and no matter how much of a factor I determine my heavy bones to contribute, well, my body it keeps its own records. And, those are pretty much the last word, so to speak. Oh well. I have enjoyed my little tip toe through the food patch for today. That reminds me. While we were in the hospital the programming on their cable service was so poor we ended up watching mostly food programs. This seemed odd even to the staff since the patient was on nothing but clear liquids. Life can be hard to explain at times. It reminds me of a quote from the famous chef, Emeril Lagasse, "I had these recipes that say do this, do that. Who MAKES these rules?" Take care, enjoy, and may God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: