Wednesday, March 25, 2015

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." Lin Yutang, Writer, (1895-1976)

Hello and welcome. Whoever came up with that slogan, 'there's no place like home', nailed it. Oh, don't worry. I'm not thinking about a movie or TV show. That sentiment has to be as ancient as the first family recorded in Genesis. Home is where the heart is and we were so happy to be back home even after such a short time away in the hospital. The wife actually slept through the entire night, something she had not been able to do in weeks. It's Wednesday, March 25, 2015, and we are still in a thankful mood for the slow but steady progress we are experiencing. When we checked out of the hospital I made a couple of trips to the car to load up all the stuff. We got home and I discovered that the blanket and pillow I had used to sleep on the couch had been left behind. They could have the blanket. That pillow is 25 or more years old and I called up there and let them know that I would be there to fetch it right away. It's one of my three feather pillows. It takes three because they tend to shrink over time. It's back in its place now and all is well. I thought about how that pillow was most likely older than the nurses we had helping to care for the wife. But, those little feather jewels still work for me, and I am so glad to have them. Yes I am aware they are way past their discard-by-date along with them greatly exceeding their statute of limitations. When I leave for my final journey home they can either be thrown out or put in the ground with me. Along with one of those old quilts. Sounds good to me!

Yes. I am aware of the truth for those of us who are believers. Absent from the body, Present with the Lord.  (2nd Corinthians 5:8) I will one day close my eyes in death and immediately awake in that place of abode that Jesus said He had left here to go to prepare. (John Chapter 14) This would mean that putting my pillows and an old quilt in my final earthly resting bed would have to be symbolic only. That's okay. It would still be a good reminder of how I had been blessed with good rest during my sojourn here. Too morbid for you? Sorry. But, think about it. The reality of our faith means that this truth is more real than the breath we have in our body today. We can be sure of it because we have God's word on it. And, after all is said and done, if in this life only we have hope, well, we are quite a miserable lot. (my rendition of 1st Corinthians 15:19) Perhaps if we had these guaranteed and certain outcomes as a more normal part of our conversation here, we would not see them as being scary or morbid. Just a thought. The other day when I denied trying to be preachy, the wife sent a succinct response: Good Sermon.

She helps to keep me grounded. And, I always try to tell her that I appreciate her input. I also often get her to fact check my accounting of a particular incident, typically, after the fact, but, I always can go back and correct it, if necessary. Speaking of sermons, here's some thoughts gleaned from tidbits about those who wear the title of Preacher. ~ The pastor stood up and told the members that he had good news and bad news. He said the good news was the fact that there was plenty of funding for the new building project. The bad news was the fact that the money was still in the pockets of the members. ~ Another pastor related how that he was on an airplane when they hit some very turbulent air. The passengers began to be very nervous. It kept getting worse. Even the flight attendants were worried. They had noticed that he had reverend by his name so they came and asked if he would do something religious. All he could think of was to take up an offering. ~ I didn't say they were that good. Just sharing. Sharing only. Take care, and may our Great God bless each and everyone. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: