Thursday, March 19, 2015

"God doesn’t want people to do what they think is best: he wants them to do what he knows is best, and no amount of reasoning and intellectualizing will discover that." ~ Henry T. Blackaby, Christian Author

Howdy folks and welcome. We open up the package with our name on it and find that it is addressed to us along with this notation: Thursday, March 19, 2015. That would make today a gift. I know. That's an old cliche but there's truth in knowing that every day, in fact, every heartbeat is given to us by our Great God. It's not that easy for us to remember to treat these routine everyday blessings as gifts, but, I've been around folks who are no longer able to fully engage them and they certainly know how much of a treasure they are. Being reminded is the first step in doing something about it. I'm talking about me, myself, and I. We all know that being busy is not the answer. That was how it went with that busy lady Martha in the Bible. She was a buzzing beehive of activity but she had failed to appreciate what her sister Mary recognized. That was the Gift who was in their very presence. She was frustrated because Mary wasn't joining her in being busy. But Mary chose to sit at the feet of Jesus to hear what He had to say. I suppose that if we are too busy, even doing good things, to listen to what Jesus has to say, well, we may need to rethink our schedule and our priorities. In fact, I do know that doing just that is a good idea for each of us, including me. Amen. (Read about it in the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 10.)

I know. That's a whole lot easier to talk about than to find ourselves doing. And, we have many obstacles that detract from what we would like to find ourselves doing. You know. Life gets in the way. A greeting card caption writer had this sentiment: "If each day is a gift, I'd like to know where to return Mondays!" That account about the sisters included an assessment of their choices where Jesus said that Mary had chosen the good or best. Choosing the best for ourselves and those we are close to can be the most challenging. I am often reminded of a big round table surrounded by loud professionals who were doing their best to impress each other with their filled up schedules and their personal stories about long hours and sleep deprivation. I was the leader in the meeting and on that particular day it just went all over me. I stood up and told everyone in the room to shut their Daytimers and no more talk about who is ruining their health the fastest. What a way to live! Or maybe not. Choices. Doing what is best. Some food for thought on a Thursday.

I don't think I am transitioning into a preachy mode. It certainly is not the me looking down on anyone else mode. I can assure you of that. But, we are in this thing together and at my age I feel a need to share some of what I have learned, much via the hard way. Even so, I'm still in the slow learner category and I surprise myself at times how true that is. One old preacher friend used to call us fellow strugglers and I believe that best describes our journey here. In my case, knowing the source of most of my troubles is key to me being able to make progress. It's real difficult to fix something if you don't know where it is broken. That's why the old song nails it for me: "It's me, it's me, it's me oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer." I heard a report the other day talking about people beginning to shape their children for college beginning in the 3rd and 4th grades. They choose subjects, musical instruments, and outside activities based on a plan to get their kids into the best learning institutions. That's all well and good, but, I sure hope, at the same time, we all are reminded of the most crucial preparation anyone could make: "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?" (Gospel of Mark, Chapter 8, Verse 36) There's no need to send in your offering to cover the weight of the postal money order. Just think. Who knows what might be on the agenda for tomorrow? Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: