Thursday, March 12, 2015

"Dave: "HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!" HAL: "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." Quoted from the 1968 movie, 2001: a space odyssey

You had to know this would be coming. I've waited a long time to use this one. Today's edition could be called, '2001: a space odyssey'. Get it? Okay. Here's the breakdown. It's the 2001st edition and all of them cataloged do take up a lot of space and since I'm the one doing the writing, well, it has been somewhat of an odyssey or adventure. Regardless of that less than applicable reference, I do bid you a hearty hello and welcome to our time together for this Thursday, March 12, 2015. I am very happy to report the wife is on the mend. She is making slow but steady progress each day. I told her the other evening that I was afraid her Tim Conway old-man-walking impersonation might become habit forming. I've read through those liquid diet suggestions and I think we might have found a couple of items she had not known about. For instance, oatmeal. She was very excited when I announced that one. Sometimes in life it doesn't take much to improve our outlook. However, it will be a fairly long trek to the six weeks that typically defines when she might be able to return to a regular diet. Meanwhile, I'm pretty much tied up on things like trying to figure out how fitted sheets actually work. I turned them dudes every way but loose before she finally had to give me some instructions. Who knew? They actually have to go on a certain way.

There's sure a lot of nonsense floating around out on the internet. You cannot trust everything you read and see. I suppose Abraham Lincoln was never more correct than when he made that famous statement, "You can't believe everything you read on the internet." See there? You learn something new everyday. We do have to do our fact checking if we are to maintain some sense of reality as it pertains to stuff on the internet. Everything from doctored photos, political shenanigans, to fish stories of all types that have been manipulated for an audience that has a seemingly insatiable appetite for sharing these kinds of frauds. Some are more obvious than others. Like these headlines: ~ Cannibal eats missionary and gets taste of religion. ~ Lady decides to have only three children after hearing that one out of four are Chinese. ~ Man injured while raking his leaves. He fell out of a tree. ~ Shotgun wedding ruled case of wife or death. ~ Thief who stole a calendar gets 12 months. ~ Moses proved that one can succeed even if they start out as a basket case. ~ One legged waiter hired at I-HOP. ~ Okay. I know they are bad but some days it's about all I can come up with. No. I do not know if they have an app that throws vegetables at the person telling bad jokes. You will have to check that one out for yourself.

When we left the hospital the other day, a sweet little old lady volunteer brought the wife downstairs. I suppose they had run out of wheelchairs so they had this chair looking thing that was mounted on wheels and that's what they used to transport her. The little old lady looked like she needed to be pushed. The wife said the pusher hit every crack, every bump, and every undulation that caused her to wince in pain. When they got to the bottom floor the volunteer lady asked the wife if she had had surgery. She said she didn't know about the surgery but when the wife told her I think she understood all the moaning and groaning. I will say this about that. Those volunteer people, most of whom tend to be older folks, they inspire us all in the work they do to assist folks dealing with all kinds of medical issues. The surgical waiting area was what you might expect. Crowded. But, those two older volunteer gentlemen had everything under control. They were consummate professionals and made the experience much easier to deal with. No telling what they did in their working life but their example is one that we all could learn from. Including me. You folks have yourselves a wonderful day and may our Great God add His special blessings to it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: