Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Famous April Fool's Day Prank: "On April 1, 1992 a broadcast of National Public Radio's Talk of the Nation revealed that Richard Nixon, in a surprise move, was running for President again. His new campaign slogan was, "I didn't do anything wrong, and I won't do it again." Accompanying this announcement were audio clips of Nixon delivering his candidacy speech. Listeners responded viscerally to the announcement, flooding the show with calls expressing shock and outrage. Only during the second half of the show did the host John Hockenberry reveal that the announcement was a practical joke. Nixon's voice was impersonated by comedian Rich Little."

I have one for you here on this April Fool's Day, Tuesday, April 1, 2014. You most likely will not be surprised but it does tell us something. I'm talking about the meeting President Obama said was the highlight of his trip overseas. That would be with Pope Francis. Here's the rub, and it is not an April fool's prank: The President has one version of what was talked about in the meeting and the Vatican had a different version. Here we go again. Granted, the President sought to accent the positive and gain as much as he could from the meeting with this most popular religious leader. But the reports do not agree. Typically, this President just tells everyone that the other party was wrong, but, I doubt seriously they would consider going down that road this time. Here is a Pope that is on the opposite side of the overwhelming majority of the social agenda this administration is pushing, yet, the President would have us believe that they really only dealt with those they agree on, involving pay inequity and poverty. Insiders tell us the real purpose of the visit from the White House perspective was for the President to try and get some of his popularity back by visiting and being seen with the Pope. This is what insiders are saying, not conservative commentators. I don't think the President wants the American people to decide for him which report they believe to be more accurate, choosing between the one he gave or the one coming out of the Vatican. My guess is the administration will just try to put some distance between them and what is yet another odd conflicting outcome, but, when they do that they will likely lose the PR they hoped to gain. Maybe that's the way it should be. What say you?

Can you believe it is April already and we are still having some run-the-heater in the car chilly mornings? They are nice but already those mid 80's in the afternoon are telling us where we are headed. All these folks who have been begging for hot weather, well, don't come running to me when you see those news people frying eggs on the sidewalk. I'm not one of those I told you so people, but, in this case, I can't help myself because I did tell you. It's interesting how we all are so different. Some folks like the colder weather, some like the really hot, while others seek to have it be moderate all the time. People actually move to where the climate suits their preference. Sometimes they get the temperature they are looking for but it can come with a price. If they like the cold they might have to deal with ice storms and blizzards. If they like the hot they might have to deal with drought and electrical brownouts. If they like the moderate they could also have the threat of earthquakes, tornadoes, or other types of calamitous threats. I suppose the key is to do what the Apostle Paul said he had learned to do, "In whatever situation or status he found himself, he had learned to be content." (My loose rendition of Philippians 4:11)

I am trying to remember the really good idea that came to me that I wanted to share with you. I think it was this past weekend. It was really a good one. But, at this particular moment and time it has taken its leave and I can't even come up with the subject. Maybe later. I know. I should have jotted down a note to myself. There was a time when I would not have needed to do that. My instant recall mechanism doesn't function as well as it did a few years ago. I'm pretty sure by this time the warranty is used up as well. But, that's a part of working through the challenges that confront those of us who wear the white. When something like that happens you have to come up with something else. Today I decided to write about not being able to remember what I was hoping to remember to write about. Don't worry. It will come to me. And, when it does, I may be a little upset with it for being so uncooperative. Or, I may not even recognize that it was the one I forgot to remember, therefore, it will be a brand new idea all over again. You would be correct. Trapped. That, my friend, is my plight. Trapped in being me. But we all have our struggles. Right? Right! Have yourself a grand Tuesday and I'll see you next time, Lord willing. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: