Friday, April 11, 2014

Genesis 2:24, English Standard Version: "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife and they shall become one flesh."

Top of the morning to you lads and lassies, or maybe that should be lassies and lads, but, whatever, hello and welcome to our hot off the electronic presses, Friday edition, on this April 11, 2014. The New York Times has weighed in with their thoughts about the fellow you ended up resigning his CEO job because of a donation made five years ago supporting a California referendum stating that marriage should be between one man and one woman. They concluded that it was not only right that he resigned but that he clearly had issues involving hate and that he was in need of rehabilitation. Are you kidding me? Does this not sound akin to forced reeducation schools dictated in Communist regimes? We are moving towards a time when it will be, for all intents and purposes, illegal to promote Biblical truth. I don't think it will become against the law to believe in God, freedom of religion and all of that, but I see the day coming when those who stand up for God's teachings on issues that are deemed unacceptable by the masses, they will be persecuted and perhaps even prosecuted. Forget about free speech or any of the other freedom amendments because the New York Times would have you believe that someone who stands for the Biblical definition of marriage is guilty of the practice of a hate crime. Can't you see this on the horizon? I can. I believe it's closer than we might perceive.

Don't think it will stop with just this one issue either. I know there's enough hypocrisy to go around, typically from all sides, but when we begin to outlaw God's Word, that, my friend, is something that can rightly be called of Biblical proportions! Since we will not solve this social quagmire today, let me see if I can think of something that will lighten the mood a little. Maybe some thought provoking questions to challenge our thinking: ~ Do forest rangers go to the city to get away from it all? ~ What happens if you never get around to procrastinating? ~ What should one do if they happen upon an endangered animal eating an endangered plant? ~ Shouldn't the want ad read: Fortune teller needed, you should already know where to apply? ~ Is it okay if I don't really care any at all about apathy? ~ Is it really true that two can live as cheaply as one but for only half as long? ~ If people were to jog backwards, would they gain weight? If you were to choke a Smurf, what color would they turn? ~

Please don't send for the answers. It's not that kind of a test. I see all these folks on Facebook taking tests to see what the results tell them about themselves. They typically take the test to find out what character they were most closely mapped out to be, typically those from TV or the movies and then they challenge their friends to comment on their result as well as an invitation for them to also take the test. I am not a participant in these exercises but it does remind me of the test that really does matter, the one that counts for time and eternity. The Shepherd boy turned King wrote this in one of the most recognized of the Psalms or Songs from the Bible, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." (139th Division of the Psalms, Verses 23-24) Now that's an examination that will always be worthwhile. Amen. That should do it for this week. Thanks for your patience and your perseverance in hanging with me each day. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I will do my best, Lord willing, to answer the call come first thing Monday. May God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: