Monday, April 21, 2014

"The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment." ~ Robert M. Hutchins, Educational Philosopher, 1899-1977

Well, well, here we go again. Today is Monday, April 21, 2014, and having been away for three days, well, there's likely some retraining that will be necessary. I will tell you that the coincidental happenings up in Washington D.C. seem to be ruling the day there. The Census Bureau announced major changes in how they will survey citizen healthcare matters in the next official collection. This, supposedly, will greatly improve the understanding of this important information. However, and I think I will say that again, however, because of the major updating of the data, well, get a load of this: It will not be possible to get any good comparisons or analysis based on a before and after Obamacare scenario. How convenient. And they would have you and I to believe that it just worked out that way folks and that's become their mantra on just about everything they are doing. From my way of seeing it, it is clear that the people running our government think we have the collective IQ of a turnip. I know that's not true but if you include in the mix the level of apathy and citizen fatigue that are both pervasive, well, it might just be what they are trying to achieve. A pass. The longer they get a pass the more entrenched the tentacles become in every fiber of the healthcare delivery apparatus with the intent to have it become so convoluted and compromised as to render it practically unchangeable and un-fixable. I can hear the Census higher ups now: "The data will be so much better but it will take a few cycles before it will be useful." By then my children will be wobbling around and I'll be in my heavenly home. And, just so you know, that last part doesn't sound too bad to me.

I didn't show up today and discover these things about how things are unfolding up there in that place that exercises power over our lives. While I do pay more attention than some, I do not see myself as a policy wonk, however, folks, it comes down to that test we heard ever since we were little. If it walks, talks, acts, and demonstrates all the attributes and characteristics, well, that just might be what it is. Sadly, and this not new, but, sadly, if folks are willing to allow someone to un-teach them the basic truths they at one time held to be certain, well, up then can become down and down can become up. I'm not that bright folks but I see this at work every single day. I see it on the news. I hear it being talked about in casual conversations. I read it in notes on Facebook. It typically goes like this: They are only trying to help folks that are down and out but those who have stuff and want to hold on to it are trying to keep them from helping folks. That message distracts from what they are doing. What does it matter if they are only trying to do good and we end up losing our personal freedoms? See what I mean? The details always tell us what is at stake. Because of this sloganization of these plans and programs we end up with class warfare as a way to cover the real implications and outcomes. My thought is that we had better be able to distinguish between the rhetoric and the reality or our grandchildren and our great grandchildren will someday wonder how we could have let these things happen. Just so you know how I see it......

Sorry to come at us so early on a back-to-work Monday but that's what we found when we located the key to my storage unit, the one I call my version of Pandora's Box. In my situation I never can predict exactly what might slip out once it is opened. And, by the way, I do know that many folks hold different opinions than I do. Really? They most certainly do. I understand that. I support everyone's right to decide for themselves. On the other hand, this doesn't mean that we should sit by and say nothing when we see things happening that we believe will be detrimental to the future of our nation. I've heard some older folks say it will be their problem and they wonder out loud why they should care. We care first and foremost because it is our duty to care. We also care because someone cared about us. They worked hard to put in place the building blocks that we used to make a life for ourselves and it is our responsibility to do the best we can to do the same for those who follow us. May God help us to be able to do that as we make our way forward is my prayer. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: