Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." ~ Ansel Adams, Legendary Photographer, (1902-1984)

Granny wants to be seen also!
It's always good to have Jesus in the picture!
That Aflac duck gets around, doesn't he?
There's a fish head if I ever saw one!
We find ourselves once again at this little place where we come to visit, rest a little, and enjoy some conversation. It's Tuesday, April 29, 2014, and I do hope you are doing well and if you are really really tall I suppose I could ask you how the weather is doing way up there. Lame? Please don't go and try to spoil my icebreaker here. I think I will take a moment to inform those of my readers about a cultural thing going on that they might not be aware of. It's called photobombing. Here's the definition of a photobomb: "A photograph that has been spoiled by the unexpected appearance of an unintended subject in the camera's field of view as the picture was taken." Getting unexpected results from photos taken is not a new thing but it has become somewhat of a craze with today's mostly young and hip generation. I'm not young but I do have some pretty bad hips but I don't think that entitles me to an honorable mention. The photobombs can be intentional or unintentional but be aware that someone may be lurking at all times to try and pull one off. Add this development, (no pun intended), to the wacko facial expressions that show up in some family photos and I'll tell you, these are some very weird times. That is, if you ask me.

They were told not to eat the sour pickles, but they wouldn't listen.
I started to ask if you got the picture but it sounded a little over the top, so I decided not to. Have you ever wondered why people seemed so solemn in the pictures taken in the early days of photography. I have. There's different thoughts about it. It could have been the fact that they had to sit perfectly still for an extended period of time in order for the photographic plate to be fully exposed. Maybe they were thinking about the cost since it was relatively expensive. Some even think it could have been the poor dental situation that most people dealt with back in those times. In addition, there was a sense in which people who portrayed themselves with broad smiles reflected a lack of dignity and seriousness about life. President Lincoln was well known for his great sense of humor but nearly is always seen as very solemn and ceremonious in the many photos taken of him. 
Compared to today's frivolity, well, I suppose if nothing else, it is different. We will have to await the judgment of history to tell us what it may or may not have reflected about us.

Today's visit might be called a public service announcement. I wonder if there is a tax write off with that one. My intention was to inform but mostly it was to entertain or maybe distract us all from the heads down stuff that typically dominates most of our days. It may not qualify for anything other than a smile generator but if it does that, well, I will be pleased. I can certainly use one now and then and I think we all can. Enjoy the rest of the day and always be remembering that God has your back. I just remembered that and it made be feel better. You might want to do the same thing. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: