Wednesday, April 9, 2014

" Inside many liberals is a totalitarian screaming to get out. They don't like to have another point of view in the room that they don't squash and the way they try to squash it is by character assassination and name calling." -- David Horowitz

Hello friends and neighbors, it is my pleasure to bring you a warm greeting from these parts out to wherever you happen to be. It is Wednesday, April 9, 2014, and I'm a little stirred about something this morning. It's the story of how another top executive has bitten the dust. This was a recently named CEO of a major internet networking software company. Why did he lose his job? Back in 2009 he made a personal contribution of $1,000 to the campaign to preserve marriage as being between one man and one woman in his home state, California. (The law required any contributions over a certain amount to be identified by the individual and their place of employment.) If you recall, this statue was approved by a majority of the voters. This man was actually one of the founders of this successful company and he has been heralded as a tremendously well qualified and talented leader, however, the folks who want what they want in terms of same sex marriage, well, they came after him. They began to campaign against his Company and solicit people to quit using their products. This particular lobby has power, especially in the technology marketplace, therefore, here was a man whose only crime was to show support for what he believed was best for his community, and now he has paid for expressing his opinion by losing his job. Here's what I see: This is not an isolated case and I predict that we will begin to see this type of pressure brought more and more with it being downloaded to almost anyone who holds an opinion or conviction different than their own. So much for tolerance on the part of the people who supposedly promote tolerance as their mantra. Sad folks. Sad indeed! Amen.

Nothing like a hot cup of Community on a cool morning!
You have to love these mid forties we've been experiencing this week. (It's 42 here at the ole blogger ranch as I write this morning.) I sure am glad I haven't put away my winter clothes yet. Thinking about my clothes closet reminds me of the fellow who recently said he didn't have a skeleton in his closet, he had a whole graveyard. But you already know I'm kidding about the clothes since I wear the same stuff year round but it is kind of neat to reflect on enjoying the coolish air while sipping on a cup of hot black and strong Community. One of my dear class members asked me a probing question the other evening at the beginning of our Bible study. He wanted to know if I thought there would be Community coffee in heaven. That took me aback a little as I considered the deep theological implications of his inquiry. Perhaps he had heard me say that my mom was doing well enough last Friday morning to be nibbling on some donut holes while she was sipping her Community. I think I may have added that the Community was part of the doctrinal statement over in her area. It was intended to be a joke. I know there's the references to milk and honey flowing and some folks like milk and something sweet in their coffee so my thought is this: If there is coffee in heaven, Community will surely be on the menu. No. I do not have a verse for that one but if you require my opinion, well, that would be my way of looking at it. (All you heresy hunters calm down over there, we are just having a little fun here, so cool it.)

I've been gnawing the white part off the orange peel ever since I can remember. I was surprised and pleased some thirty plus years ago when I read about the health benefits of this part, called the pith. It has some anti-cancer properties and antioxidants actually, so it is very good for you. In fact, the white pith contains the highest amount of bioflavonoids (an antioxidant), and vitamin C of the whole orange. Also there's some great fiber in it. I actually have always eaten it because I like it. Too bad that as a diabetic I never was able to come up with any of the same nutritional benefits to be derived from eating Moon Pies because I like them too along with a whole list of other delicacies that come under the heading of: Don't Even Think About Parking In This Spot. Somehow the pith, while good, just doesn't stack up against some of these other treats. That's not to say that I don't sneak a bite here and there, but, I do my best to try and just say no. If I don't, I find myself playing that game that we all enjoy so much, 'Bet you can't eat just one!' Let me be clear, I do not have a winning record in that game. But, all in all, I am blessed beyond measure and have every reason in the world to be thankful to our great God. How about you? Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: