Thursday, April 10, 2014

- "Conceal me what I am, and be my aid For such disguise as haply shall become The form of my intent." - William Shakespeare, (1564-1616), Writer. Quote from:Twelfth Night", Act I, Scene II, Viola, lines 53-55

You have your way of looking at things and I think it must be crystal clear by now that I have mine. It's Thursday, April 10, 2014 and I am stuck in one of those contemplative modes today. I get the fact that people like to joke about how that I might remind them of Uncle Si Robertson from the TV Series, Duck Dynasty. I get it. However, he was born in April of 1948. I showed up eighteen months earlier. Therefore, it stands to reason that maybe they should be asking him about how coincidental it is that he might just favor me. Not the other way round. What's that? You think that the one who is a celebrity probably is the one who gets to be compared to? That my friend sounds like a Hollywood approach. I just thought it might be worth pointing out that I've most likely had 'the beard' as long, if not longer than him. I also grew up hunting and fishing. Admittedly, we didn't have camouflage for anything we used or wore because we either didn't know it was needed or we couldn't afford it. So, here's the deal. This guy shows up on television drinking iced tea out of a Tupperware glass and spouting off old country sayings and wham-bam, bingo, suddenly everyone, including his elders who just happen to wear 'the beard' end up being compared to him. I'm feeling just a tad slighted here. Who knows, maybe I'm entitled to a royalty. I wonder what the Texas Hammer is up to these days. (Texas Hammer aka Jim Adler, a lawyer fellow who, based on his commercials, loves to see folks who have been slighted made monetarily whole through pursuit of the law.)

You noticed in the photo I was wearing my recently purchased amber HD wraparound worn-over-my-regular glasses seeing enhancement device. The other day when we were traveling to Louisiana for my wife's family gathering I stopped in a small East Texas town for a rest break for the grandkids. We were at the local billions served place and I stayed in the car but I noticed these four older ladies were making quite a fuss and it appeared that I was the object of their animated conversation. I immediately wondered if they were still dealing with a Santa hang over from Christmas but that didn't make sense to me. It took me a couple of days before I realized what it was. They had spotted my spiffy looking HD glasses and were stirred up most likely because they had seen that commercial a few hundred thousand times but had intended to but had never ordered the actual product. They had now run into a living breathing real life exhibitor who was modeling the product and it suddenly struck them that they too could be cruising down the road seeing everything in a new light, so to speak, and also being able to proudly support that famous label, As Seen On TV.

How many times have I told you? You cannot make this stuff up folks. No way. What's that? Maybe they were looking at something behind me? I don't think so. But I wonder if I might be entitled to some small monetary stipend as I help to increase sales of those varmint-on-the-road alert spotters. I will tell you the downside here. There are folks who do see me wearing these glasses, that, unlike those kind ladies, they actually send me a different signal. I think we all are tuned in enough to get this one, 'You've got to be kidding!' It's kind of given me a complex. So much so I do my best to remove them when I exit my vehicle. I guess most of those types share that X-Ray vision capability with Superman. Maybe I should share this emotional distress with 'The Hammer' and might even go for a class action on this one. Okay. On Facebook they call it Throwback Thursday but as you can see, for me, it's mostly been just a bucket full of foolishness. Now I say to one and all that you should go out and enjoy your day and make sure to remember to thank God for His provisions. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: