Monday, September 16, 2013

"You can always tell when gas is really expensive, cause you'll see street gangs doing walk-bys." Larry the Cable Guy

Okay. Let's get to it. We have a brand new day and a brand new work week here on this Monday, September 16, 2013, therefore, I'm stirring up a little excitement as we prepare to git r done. That's the trademark phrase of  Larry the Cable Guy. He's another comic that likes to play off the southerner and redneck genre of humor. Here's a few of his clean funnies: "I was a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired." ~ "My brother got eliminated from the spelling bee. Apparently, there ain't no number eight in the word 'pollinate'." ~ "I went jogging last week. I didn't want to, my car broke down in a bad neighborhood. I lost eight pounds and my rims." ~ "What happens if you get scared half to death....twice?" ~ "I was madder than a mosquito in a mannequin factory." ~ "I’m on that diet where you eat vegetables and drink wine. That’s a good diet. I lost 10 pounds and my driver’s license." Okay. Maybe at least one of those gave you a smile to start your day. Given the news that surrounds our day, we can use all the help we can get. Right? That's what I thought as well.

A Mother's grief, 12 years later.
It was okay by me to see so many of my Facebook friends posting commemorative graphics for 9.11 remembrances. Repetitious? You betcha! But, it is a day worth remembering by young and old. That's right. Even the younger folks were putting up memorial postings. Most of them were too young to actually know what was going on but they have been taught. They know how our nation was changed that day. And, that, my friend, is a good thing. It was gut wrenching to see another round of photos from Ground Zero of wives, children, and parents of those murdered as they gathered once again to publicly mourn the loss of their loved ones. As I moved around last Wednesday, I heard numerous people recounting exactly where they were when they first learned about what happened. I suppose we can never fully prepare ourselves for the potential harm that comes from such deeply felt hate fueled by religious zealotry. May all those impacted look to the God of all comfort to help them heal is my prayer. Amen.

I don't know about you but to me that photo of that mom summarizes the impact better than any words. My heart goes out to her and I know she is representative of thousands more whose tears still flow. There's just something about a mother's love that captures our hearts. God made moms that way. Here's a wonderful poem by Helen Steiner Rice that reflects upon this wonderful love:

A Mother’s love is something
that no one can explain,
It is made of deep devotion
and of sacrifice and pain,

It is endless and unselfish
and enduring come what may
For nothing can destroy it
or take that love away . . .

It is patient and forgiving
when all others are forsaking,
And it never fails or falters
even though the heart is breaking . . .

It believes beyond believing
when the world around condemns,
And it glows with all the beauty
of the rarest, brightest gems . . .

It is far beyond defining,
it defies all explanation,
And it still remains a secret
like the mysteries of creation . . .

A many splendored miracle
man cannot understand
And another wondrous evidence
of God’s tender guiding hand
.

That is so true and so inspiring. Take care and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: