Monday, September 30, 2013

"Television has created a nation of news junkies who tune in every night to get their fix on the world." ~ Robert MacNeil, former co-host of the MacNeil-Lehrer Report on PBS

I'll know it's getting cooler when these electric bills don't cause me to grab the smelling salts. But I digress, which you might agree I have much practice and maybe even some ability at doing. It's good for us to have this time again as we say farewell to September on this Monday, the 30th, in the year of our Lord, 2014. I know I am a news junkie of sorts. In fact, the other day I took the News IQ Quiz on the Pew Research Center's website and scored in the 5% range, meaning that only 5% get that many right answers which is 91% better than the average of those taking the test. I answered 13 out of 15 correctly. It was not an easy test. I missed one that had four different charts representing the stock market averages over the last five years. I was supposed to spot the one that was an accurate representation. They mostly looked alike. The other one I missed had a population distribution graphic for the United States. The graphic beside it was unlabeled. I was to choose out of four answers which country that chart represented. Hello? I put the Netherlands but it turned out to be Nigeria. Who knew? I can assure you, I did not get the memo on that one. Bottom line, you can take that score and put $2 with it and maybe you can get a small cup of coffee, maybe.

I know I've been in rant mode of late but there are some high stakes games being pursued at this time in our nation's capitol, and, it's hard not to notice. Even with the likelihood for a government shutdown, as it is called, within days the debt limit must be raised in order for the country to pay its obligations. Typically, the administration and those in the Congress negotiate and come up with an accommodation so that this is mostly a procedural matter. The President has been adamant. He will not negotiate at all, period. He thinks this is a winner and the Republicans, fearing the backlash from a government default, will cave. He sent out an adviser who said dealing with the Republicans who are threatening not to vote to raise the debt limit is like dealing with terrorists. The host responded by asking the adviser if he thought the then Senator Obama was acting like a terrorist when in 2006 he voted against raising the debt limit. The adviser did not have an answer. I could help him because I've heard the administration's lame explanations. They say there was never any doubt in 2006 whether it would pass, therefore, the then Senator could lodge a protest vote. Does this mean if his vote would have been needed, he would have set aside his deeply felt principles? See what I mean? It's all one gigantic feeding trough and the pigs, regardless of where they come from, are always hungry.

That vote in 2006 was cast against President George W. Bush's request, therefore, as liberals see it, any vote against Bush is a badge of honor, while any vote against President Obama proves one is a racist and obviously, according to his adviser, by extension, a terrorist. Sorry. But, being a self appointed umpire, as we all should be as citizens, I have to call them like I see them. That's enough of the weighty stuff, let me see if I can come up with a lighter ending as I prepare to make my exit. Two kids were trying to decide what game to play. One of them offered, "Let's play doctor." The other one agreed, "Okay, you operate and I will sue." Don't let these continuing resolution budget thingies along with the debt limit deal get you down. Those shenanigans have been going on ever since the politicians showed up. Pray about it and stand up for what you believe is right. If you don't agree with my position that's okay. In our system, everyone also has the right to be wrong. Just joking. Take care and may God bless each and every one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: