Thursday, September 5, 2013

"Well, in the first place, military service, they don't call it service for nothing. You are actually serving your country. And it is a worthy and valid vocation." ~ Rick Warren

Hello and welcome to the Thursday edition where thoughts flow freely in an ideal situation which is rare but it is still worth pursuing on this September 5, 2013. Attending Uncle Jessie's memorial service reminded me of what it is like to be a part of rural America. They might lack sophistication and etiquette, but, I will tell you they know how to care, and it shows. The Winnsboro, Louisiana area is farm country and the people carry with them the sign of the sun on their brow. There is a level of comfort that is experienced in these types of services. Heartfelt and humble. God honoring. We had maybe a twenty five minute ride to the cemetery. Everyone pulled over to the side of the road. Many exited their vehicles and stood with their caps over their hearts. Those former military folks saluted when they spotted that flag draped box through the hearse window. Farmers stopped in their fields and dismounted their tractors to pay their respects. Once we arrived at the cemetery a United States Air Force honor guard met us. They performed in a manner fit for Arlington. Moving. Reverent. Appropriate. And, once again, God honoring, both in words and in the works of all those involved. Amen.

Driving over to that memorial service brought me through a number of my 'old stomping grounds'. I actually didn't know the origin of that 'old stomping grounds' saying. It appears to be an Americanism dating from the early 1800's and most likely reflects upon animals that stamp out, clear, and mark their home territory. At any rate, I was driving by some very familiar territories. Marilyn and I moved to Alexandria, Louisiana in 1965 because I had taken a civil service job at England Air Force Base. I well remember that job and Staff Sergeant John Langley and his family that literally took us in as if we were their very own children. I later transferred to the Veteran's Administration Hospital in that same area and worked with many people there who influenced me for life. I passed by the turn off to the duplex where we had lived. Our Chris was an infant. I didn't know at the time, but the people there, the little Church we worked in, and the experience we gained became so important as we continued our journey. Most of those we knew are gone on to their reward but I could almost see their faces and hear their voices as I made my way down memory lane. It's good to be able to thank God for those days gone by, and I do, yes, I do. Amen.

One thing that truly impresses me as I recall many of these people has to do with their love and support for us without us knowing they were helping us. I suppose we knew but the kind of caring shown to us was never made out to be anything other than a natural response on their part. I know there is a huge lesson for us all in that but as you can tell I am having trouble explaining it. They just never made a big deal out of anything they did for us and as a young couple we didn't fully realize until later how God had blessed us with these folks who chose to connect themselves to our lives. I suppose it has to do with their motivation but it convicts me because there's no telling how much could be done if folks were not always concerned with being recognized or in getting the credit. It continues to mystify me today. Why? Why us? But, in the end, we can only thank God that He in His providence provided for us even when we didn't have a clue. What's that? Wouldn't that me most of the time for me? You got it right the first time! Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: