Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"I'm not scared of very much. I've been hit by lightning and been in the Marine Corps for four years." ~ Lee Trevino, Professional Golfer

Nothing like the look and feel of routine to make things seem back to normal. That's how I see it on this early morning as I bring you greetings once again from my home base here at the ole blogger ranch. It's Tuesday, September 3, 2013, therefore, we all can only hope that sooner rather than later we will see some moderation of these high 90's each day. Yesterday, the holiday, I got up and was foraging around for something to eat and then I happened upon a true handful of blessing. I found a package of Uncle Cleon sausage that had hidden itself in the freezer. We call it Uncle Cleon, the wife's brother, because it comes from a family run butcher shop in his rural Louisiana community. It is 100% pork but not like what you typically find in the super market. It is all the best parts ground up and seasoned to perfection and myself and our boys have enjoyed it for at least the last twenty years. I didn't know it was in the freezer but it didn't take long for me to get it ready to eat. What's that? Is it diabetic friendly? Sorry, but there seems to be a lot of static on the line and I didn't get all of your question. Maybe we could deal with it on another day.

Today we are remembering our brother Donald on the 65th anniversary of his birth. Here's something I wrote to commemorate our remembrance back in 2011: "We lost Donald this past June after a ten month battle where he struggled to recover from a massive heart attack and traumatic brain injury. Donald was as unique as they come and he seemed always to run on his own set of rails. He was generally a free spirit who made friends easily and pretty much did his own thing, in his own way. As careers go, his 20 year stint as a U. S. Marine reflected a huge part of his life. When he enlisted it was as if he was born to be a Marine. His dream job was that of a Drill Instructor which he did for nearly 12 years. When he hurt his back and was no longer able to be a DI, it was a huge blow to him. Nearly everyday we read about those who wear the uniform of our nation with many of them being killed or wounded. I almost always think about men like Donald who poured into his recruits the fighting spirit and instinct required to survive the worst in battle. Every time I've met a Marine and they learn about my brother being a DI they give him and others like him credit for the training that was given to them. When Donald retired he worked in a number of different industries but he never lost his connection to the Corp. While we continue to mourn his loss, we are also proud of his service to our country. He was a dad, a skilled employee, a beloved son, and many other things, but the bottom line was his identity as a United States Marine. Happy Birthday brother and may God bless our memory of your time here with us. Amen."
 
I think I'm caught up on all the sports activities from the weekend. The Texans beat the Cowboys last Thursday evening and even though the game was meaningless, it was seriously important to many folks around these parts. LSU beat TCU, therefore, the entire state of Louisiana woke up with a feeling that things are right with the world. We also caught the Nationwide NASCAR race Saturday evening, the NASCAR truck race Sunday afternoon and the NASCAR Sprint Cup race Sunday evening. That's a whole lot of racing folks and I did notice that my vehicle was trying to go left all the way to work this morning. Just kidding. We did read last week that when a major team loses on Sunday people in their hometown greatly over indulge on calories on Monday. The numbers they quoted reflect super sized on steroids. The article claimed that this factor alone is helping to contribute to the obesity crisis in our nation. Let me set the record straight. My problem had to do with Uncle Cleon sausage and as best I can tell I wasn't thinking anything about teams or drivers from the weekend. Have yourself a wonderful Monday and may our Great God add His blessings to it. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: