Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"We try harder." Avis Rental Car Slogan, 1962

"Hey, hey, hey", no, it's not Fat Albert, it's just the pleasingly plump jolly ole blogger coming to you live and in person here on this Tuesday, September 17, 2013. I suppose the 'in person' is slightly misleading but hopefully by the time you read this the 'live' part will still apply. Thanks for tuning in and now for a word from our sponsor, "A little dab'll do ya!" How many of you immediately thought of Brylcreem? That slogan came about in the late 1950's and early 1960's. It was the line that stuck from the little jingle that went like this:

Brylcreem brylcreem brylcreem!
Brylcreem - a little dab'll do ya
Brylcreem - you look so debonair
Brylcreem - the girls will all pursue ya
They love to get their fingers in your hair!

Back then I'm not sure if I knew what debonair meant but I do know I kept a tube handy, used it daily, and was most likely hoping and dreaming about those last two lines. Just look at that lovely young lady and you can tell, it worked!

No. There's no need to add Brylcreem to the words Community Coffee on my tombstone. Please don't write to ask if I am planning on putting Community Coffee on my tombstone. It was only a funny thought. A pretty good thought if I say so myself. Just so you know, there is a Coffee County up in Tennessee but I haven't thought about being buried there. Way too far away from Port Allen, Louisiana. That's where they roast the Community. And, that too, is part of the running funny story. But here's a true story. You know I have been carrying my little one cup maker with me when we travel to hotels. That way I can brew my own Community the way I like it. That and my three feather pillows is about all it takes for me. The other night I had a dream about making another trip to Great Britain and it turned into a nightmare when I couldn't get the power converter to work with my little one cup maker. Talk about scary! Fortunately I could hug my feather pillows and I somehow made it through the night.

Life may not be like a box of chocolates after all. It could be more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today could burn you tomorrow. I think most of us can identify with that one. The wife and I were out on an excursion the other day. It was a throw down kind of trip with nothing particular in mind. We were down near Galveston and we checked on the movies that were showing. None of them looked that good to us except for maybe the 3D Planes movie but we thought it a little underage for us, a little. We saw a discount movie theater and went there to see Man of Steel, the Superman flick. Two dollars per person. It was a little over the top in terms of loud noises and computer generated special effects, but, we mostly enjoyed it. That movie came out in June and by September it is already a discount feature. Talk about faster than a speeding bullet. Have a great rest of the day and may our Great God add His blessings to it. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: