Thursday, September 19, 2013

"If President Obama really wants to hurt the Syrian government, don’t send cruise missiles. He should send over some of his economic advisers." – Jay Leno

Hello everybody on this 5th day of the week, Thursday, where we look at our handy Gregorian Calendar and find ourselves smack dab on top of September 19, 2013. You will remember that your humble observer of stuff-as-it-happens wrote the other day regarding my armchair assessment of our nation's current foreign policy, or lack thereof. I don't claim to be that smart but even to a casual observer one can see some crazy shenanigans going on. Now we have a 66 paragraph behind-the-scenes account published in the Wall Street Journal that details this recent fiasco involving our policy regarding chemical weapons use in Syria. Here's a quote, "Through mixed messages, miscalculations, and an 11th-hour break, the U.S. stumbled into an international crisis and then stumbled out of it." This 'Keystone Kops' approach to diplomacy might be humorous were it not so deadly serious. On the day that our Secretary of State dropped his off handed comment, his department sent to the Congress a report detailing all the obstructionism the Russians were pursuing to try and defeat our efforts. I'm not saying I was right but those 66 paragraphs tend to support my reporting as I saw it unfolding. (Just for the record, my thoughts on this subject were expressed in paragraph 2, of my blog, dated 9/11/2013.)

I do not consider myself to be a flamethrower when it comes to any and all things pertaining to our President and his administration. I do not want to be pegged as a hater. I have great disagreements regarding positions and policies but I do not hate the man who holds our highest office or his family. Guess what? Many people do. Period. It shows in their comments that go beyond any consideration for policies as they typically gravitate to deal with the personal. These who are prone to foment hate and often under gird their criticisms with racial overtones also claim to be followers of Christ. To me, that doesn't match up very well with a call from above that we would love our enemies, (Matthew 5:44), and that we would pray for those who have authority over us, (1st Timothy 2:1). Having said this, I also firmly believe in our right to take a stand for our beliefs and to stand against any and all policies we believe to be detrimental to our freedoms and way of life. To me, it's not a blurred line, it's clear. Difficult to do? Yes siree! Nearly everything God calls us to do is hard but with His help we can do it! Amen.

By way of explanation I know that I mention the 'hate' situation quite often. I suppose it gets to me a little when I see a bunch of Bible verses on Facebook followed by some outlandishly despicable personal comments about the President and his family. Enough said. At any rate, we have today to deal with and based on my most recent experiences, that will occupy most of our time. And, when I think about someone in need of some straightening up, I need look no further than the man in the mirror. You know that fellow. It's me, it's me, it's me oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer. Talk about a work in progress! I do hope you have a most wonderful rest of this day where you might know that I will continue to be on the look out for any indication whatsoever that fall is in the air. So far, there's still plenty of sauna in the air but no fall yet. But, I will keep you posted on that one. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: