Thursday, September 12, 2013

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government." ~ Woody Allen

It's mostly looking like a Thursday kind of day here and I say hello and welcome to it, on this September 12, 2013. Don't you love it when someone responds on Facebook to a posting in the exact way you are feeling? There's this wonderful missionary wife who always posts inspiring things. However, one day she got a little carried away using all those cute little abbreviated ditties strung together. A friend of hers replied: "There may be some around who still speak and interpret tongues but I'm not one of them. What exactly are you talking about dear sister in Christ?" Now that was a good one. We have quite a few security cameras around our property here at work. I know there are times when I must be entertaining so early in the morning. I do like a challenge. When I go to unlock all our buildings there are days when it works out that I must carry my keys, my flashlight, and my unfinished cup of Community. Trying to figure out exactly how to point the light and the key while making sure I don't spill the joy juice, well, I haven't seen myself but I do know I often end up laughing at myself. I've tried the flashlight in my mouth and under my chin but I guess I need to start using my neck light so that I look a little less clumsy. Don't even think about it. Not on your life. Those videos are not for sale!

Yes. I am aware that my home office computer is a machine and not a person even though I called it a he when explaining my situation the other evening. Using he and she began when I found myself immersed in managing in the computing and telecommunications networking world for over twenty years, and since I am not technically inclined myself, I had to come up with a way of trying to make sense out of glitches when they came up. The highly skilled fellows soon learned that speaking computer gibberish to me would not get the job done. So, we began to humanize the process so that we could together find an appropriate response and solve the problem. This led to discussions about how the system became confused when he missed a hand off from a utility player. No. That's not how they would explain it to each other but that's the way they explained it to me. I could get that. This problem had likely happened because he had been given new instructions but the utility player had not been updated at the same time. See what I mean? What's so hard about that? We would then update the utility player and soon they were doing hand offs just like the good fellows they were supposed to be, give or take a diode or two, or something like that.

Take my word for it, that was a very simple example because at times there could be entire families and armies involved in issues we had to deal with. That reminds me. I still need to climb those stairs at home and check on him to see if he is still behaving himself. He may think he has me over a barrel but I know where he's plugged in and I could put him in night night for a very long time, but, hopefully that won't be necessary. Maybe you never have to deal with stuff like that. Consider yourself to be blessed. And, lest I forget, I do have an extremely important phone-a-friend option. It's our Chris who can always be counted on to help me try to reason with my wayward computer. I put off calling him as long as I can which often leads to the proverbial 'why didn't you call me earlier?' question, but it is good to know we have a get-out-of-jail-free option in our family. Thanks son for helping me not to make it worse, which I can assure both he and I am more than aware of my capabilities in that area. It's one of those been-there-done-that kind of deals. Try to have yourself a wonderful rest of the day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: