Thursday, October 18, 2012

You know you’re getting older when you bend over in the morning to tie your shoes and realize you didn’t take them off the night before.

We do have Thursday to deal with and then there will be Friday. After that, I will be on vacation for a week. It's basically what they are now calling a staycation. We both have doctor's visits lined up, I have some minor dental surgery, and our flu shots still await our connection. That will occupy some time on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. As the song says, isn't it loverly? Or something like that. But I do bid you a blessed day on the one we have to work with, that being, Thursday, October 18, 2012. It will be good to mix up the routine a little. As far as my blog is concerned, it might be best to put it the way they used to back home,"Look for me when you see me coming." I may write one each day, I'm just not sure. I never thought too much that some day we would be playing the medical roulette game so early in our journey, but, it's better to get all these things done, if you know what I mean. And, I know that many of you do. I am thankful to be easing my way into the category of the chronologically gifted. And, after all, we need to do all we can to fulfill our purpose because this life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real deal, every minute of every day. I read this one the other day. An old man was stopped by the police who told him his wife had fallen out of the car several blocks ago. The old man was relieved and said, "Thank God, I thought I was going deaf."

I forget from time to time to upload photos to my computer. It's always surprising when I plug in the memory chip and it tells me I have 124 new ones available to upload. It's a little like opening presents on Christmas as each one flies by. The one I have on display today is of our Alexander Benjamin taken the evening we carried him to his favorite fast food joint to celebrate his 7th birthday. He is one funny little dude. That boy can come up with some stuff. The other evening I had him clean and floss his teeth. He worked really hard to do a good job. He blew in my face several different times to show how fresh his breath was. The next day he and I were talking and I told him again how much I appreciated him taking care of his teeth. He admitted that he had experienced a food emergency that came up after he had brushed, and went on to explain all the reasons you have to be prepared when that happens. He said it was necessary to keep some emergency food nearby, just in case. It was an emergency, after all. It was a very convincing story but admittedly Poppy is pretty gullible when it comes to his grand kids. I plead guilty as charged and given some of the dire consequences that could happen based on what he told me, I may even consider stocking some emergency snacks near my bed, you know, just in case.

I was at the inner city Bible club ministry during some of the second presidential debate but I did catch a good portion of it on radio as I drove home. The exchanges were animated but I'm not sure it sounded very presidential. Yet, many will be waiting to hear from the so called experts regarding what they should be thinking coming out of this debate. I'm not. I will tell you these polls are literally all over the page and all over the place. Some have the President winning by a comfortable margin and others have Governor Romney winning his shot at the Oval Office. I was listening to the top person from Gallup the other day explaining how scientific their approach is and how careful they are in making sure their sampling reflects reality as close as they can. I'll let you in on a not so well kept secret. That's exactly what the other fellow says about their poll and why it is the most accurate. Even though they both reach different conclusions! Here's an indisputable fact. There are some folks, hopefully very few, who actually are impacted by the polls. They, perhaps without even knowing it, tend to yield to the one they think will be the winner, and that's what the polls try to predict. My grandfather would have said they are folks that wet their finger and then hold it up to see which way the wind is blowing and that's how they decide which way to go. To me, it should be a matter of conscience and conviction. And, to the greatest extent possible to seek and find God's wisdom to guide the decision process. I've voted for the loser before even when they were predicted to lose, but I believed it to be the vote I should make. I hope that makes sense. If not, go back read about Alex and his shenanigans. That should get you off to a good start. May God bless until we meet again. Amen.      ...........More later.

No comments: