Monday, October 29, 2012

Little girl quoting verse 1 of Psalm 23, "The Lord is my Shepherd and He is all I want." Not completely accurate but that will preach brother, that will preach!

Goooooood morning and here's an update to the folks who will be arriving here at the workplace later this morning: He'eeeeees baaaaack! I'm humming a little John Denver this morning, 'A'int it good to be back home again.' I do bid you a warm welcome here on this cool morning and I do so on this back-to-work Monday, October 29, 2012. That little dental procedure last week turned out to be slightly more than advertised. Doesn't it usually work out that way? I'm not sure how many stitches she used but I can feel quite a few knots with my tongue. I had to get more information on the bone graft because I really wasn't clear on whether it was absolutely necessary. The insurance didn't cover it. But, the Periodontist lady made a convincing case, therefore, I end up with some person's dead bones in my mouth. She told me I shouldn't worry since they would now belong to me. You know. Once you pay for them they are yours. I heard my wife telling her sister that she knew it was not so pleasant for me. She told her that anytime he takes a pain pill, well, that would mean it was hurting pretty bad. I can handle the soft food diet. I can deal with the antibiotic and the prescription rinse. However, the biggest and saddest part was when she told me I could only drink lukewarm Community. Life can be tough folks, tough indeed!

Yesterday our local fellowship enjoyed an early Sunday morning tailgate breakfast meet and greet. This sports themed fellowship was hosted by our pastors and deacons. It was my privilege to share a short devotion with those who gathered. I read the 23rd Psalm as a way of introducing what I believe to be one of the greatest thematic word pictures found throughout the Word of God. That is reflected in the way God chose to reveal Himself as The Shepherd of His people. This began in creation and was fulfilled in the coming of the Great, the Good, the Chief Shepherd, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. From Genesis to the Revelation of Jesus Christ this theme is developed, emphasized, and maintained. God provides for His own. As a teacher of God's Word for over 40 years, I can tell you there are many challenging truths found in His Word. Yet, how wonderful it is to be able to grasp the simplicity of The Shepherd motif and to realize our privilege in being His sheep. Even a child can get hold of this and I say Amen to that.

I did have a good last week and I am thankful to have spent it with my lovely bride of soon to be 48 years. The recent home going of several close spouses to family and brothers and sisters in Christ makes us aware of this bond that God established. I pray for those who are having to make these painful adjustments. I also commend to us all to count every day of being with the mate that God has given to us as a blessing. The world can redefine all they want to. But, God has clearly established His plan and purpose for men, women, boys, and girls. I thank God for His Word on the subject and I pause to thank Him for the wonderful wife He has given to me. We haven't had a Leave it to Beaver kind of home life throughout our sojourn together, but, we are by God's grace, united as one flesh, and for that we give Him praise and honor. After all, we, unlike one lady, when asked to name a TV show about animals did not blurt out, Leave it to Beaver. I can hear Gene Autry warbling Back in the Saddle Again, therefore, I had better get on with it. Have a great and blessed day and remember to remember to be thankful if you have God as your Shepherd. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: