Friday, October 12, 2012

Does anyone know if people need to brush up on Latin before they visit Latin America?

Hello once again. The grey cells are on strike but I decided to give it a go anyway. They do that occasionally. I can't really blame them. Working conditions and all of that stuff. But, it is good to see you on this end-of-the-work-week Friday, October 12, 2012. That is an awfully close call and we barely missed the 13th by only one day, this being Halloween month and that might have made us all a little bit on edge. Joking, of course. As far those grey cells, they've got the same clothes to get glad in, and as far as I am concerned, they can just take a hike along with the horse they rode in on. I wrote all of that just to be able to get that one line in, the horse they rode in on. That phrase actually came up because I bumped into that photo I had played with some time ago. As you can tell, I superimposed my face putting me into a historical context along with my faithful steed. He does seem to be keeping an eye on me in the painting. This is what happens when you land on Friday without all of the resources required for coherent thought. Makes me understand better that infamous quote from Vice President Dan Quayle, "What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is." True brother Quayle, so true. And, I should know.

It really is a small world after all. It always stuns me when I see strange news stories from our country that make it to the front webpage of a foreign newspaper. I'm not talking about hard news stories but rather the odd mundane quips that are being read from Australia to Antarctica. Then we have the instant communications that is literally online all the time, 24x7. Last Sunday evening it was our great privilege as a local congregation to conduct an ordination service. One of the men was set apart as a missionary/pastor to return to his own land, the nation of Liberia. He and his family have truly been a blessing to us. His wife has been back in Liberia to help her mom for over a year, but, he told me Sunday that on his way to the meeting place she had called him to share her love and prayers. Two thousand air miles away and already 5 hours later for her but she could join in the spirit of this great service. I spent many years being involved in introducing technological advances but even though I helped people access and use innovative computing and communications, it still stuns me when I think about the amazing progress that has been made. I can remember when the first cellular phones came out. I was provided one for testing. One day while riding the large commuter bus home I pulled that phone out of my briefcase and called my mom over in Louisiana. It was one of those brick looking units with the fixed antenna on it. She was stunned that I was on the bus talking to her on a portable telephone. The people around me doubted that I was really talking to my mom. Quite a journey folks, quite a journey.

Grey cells notwithstanding, I have been doing some thinking about thinking how to shorten my daily dialogues. I openly confess and take full responsibility for being a wordy-wordy person. Brevity is most likely an acquired skill. It is best defined as what you typically don't get when you visit my blog because it has to do with the concise use of words in writing or speech. One quote attributed to Shakespeare says, "Brevity is the soul of wit." In writing or speech. I am supposed to do a short devotional for an upcoming special fellowship time for our local congregation. They asked me to do 15 minutes. I shared that time goal with my class. They laughed out loud. See what I mean? Over five years ago when I started doing these daily doodads I figured I would use up everything I could possibly think up within a few months. I have on rare occasion published a short one or two. The last time I did a short one I received a phone call from one of my faithful readers asking me if I was okay. The Bible proverb is obviously on the mark, "Even a child is known by his doings..." (Proverbs 20:11) I did say I was thinking about thinking about doing something about making them shorter. Maybe by the new year. You know. A new page so to speak. We will see. Now, here's what I would like for each of you to do. Go forth and enjoy yourself on Saturday and do your very best to join with other believers at the meeting place on Lord's Day Sunday. Until next time, may God bless each one. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: