Tuesday, October 16, 2012

In the game of life in this world, whether we win, lose, or draw, we are still more than victorious in Christ!

Hello folks and welcome. It's Tuesday, October 16, 2012, and we are in the wound licking mode around these parts. For me, it started with the Saturday evening NASCAR race where my driver never really contended. Five hundred miles. A lady in our local fellowship gave me some bright red Jeff Gordon socks as a gift. I had them on during the race. He finished 18th. We had a good day on Sunday in the services at our local meeting place, and I came home Sunday evening to get ready to see the Texans do their thing against the Green Bay Packers. The game build up was filled with hype and expectation, but sadly, only Green Bay rose to the occasion. I can remember a time when I was much younger, (much younger, thank you Lord), when a drubbing like that would have robbed me of my sleep. Seeing what was happening during that game made me feel like I was somehow transported into an alternate universe where I was watching an event as described by the late Andy Griffith in that most famous 1953 comedic routine called: "What it was, was football." Listen to it and have yourself a laugh to start your day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I42JIgfnMYE

I will tell you that folks who brave seeing the game in person are to be commended. I read one lady on Facebook who had attended the Texans game and she said they spent more than one hour getting parked. Based on the escalating costs along with tremendous inconvenience, you would have to be a real fan these days to actually be there at the stadium. That word fan is an interesting one. Different sources present their ideas about the origin of this word to describe a supporter of a team. Here in America, it appears we came up with an Americanism off of the word that described someone who fancies something. That Americanism yielded the term fanatic. That was in the late 1800's. That word fanatic sought to describe someone who is extremely zealous and eventually was shortened to the word fan. Based on the amount of face paint on display throughout the stadium in Sunday night's game, I would say there was a huge number of very supportive, extremely zealous, fanatical fans who showed up. I saw one fellow's posting who said this: "Come on Houston fans, we were 5-0, and now we are 5-1. That's not so bad." I suppose it could be pretty bad if you had the idea you were the best team, hands down, in all of football but you got beat 42 to 24. That would be another way of looking at it.

I suppose some of us are just too occupied with being occupied to become enthralled in sporting events, except for those we choose to watch, follow, and keep up with, of course. Last Thursday evening we had five of our grand kids hanging around. One was our college student who came to spend a couple of days with us. They were all watching reruns of NCIS. I switched it when the Vice Presidential debate came on. That gang who had previously had their eyes glued to the screen suddenly scattered faster than a roach convention when the lights came on. I told our college student that you can't hide from reality. She said she wasn't trying to but just didn't want to watch that stuff. Stuff was not a bad description. I watched it all. I got to see some real good dental profiles from Vice President Biden. I believe they counted him interrupting 72 times. I do know this. When I was a kid and if I had interrupted someone more than once. Well, my mom would have seen to it that I would be carrying a sore mouth for a few days. They say Vice President Biden really fired up the democratic base, you know, those people who were going to vote for them anyway. He may have, however, further turned off the undecideds and independents because of his rude antics. I didn't get too much out of it from either side but I'm glad I watched. You know. I report. I decide. Or something like that. Have a good day and may God bless each one. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: