Friday, October 19, 2012

Tying up a few loose ends.

It's Friday, October 19, 2012, and this will be the last time I hunt and peck a blog from this chair for the next nine days. I will be on a short sabbatical from the workplace but will likely be visiting with you from my control center located in my home office. Change of pace, routine, and, I might even stay in bed past 3:30 a.m., a day or two. Might. The combination of the gravitational pull of routine along with the call of Community can be a formidable force, but I will try. Now don't tell me you have never laid in bed thinking about that first cup. What's that? No. I don't think I need to see a psychologist to help me with my problems, that is, unless they have Community in their office, then, I might consider it. You do know I am kidding. Don't you? It's called an exaggeration done for effect. The ten or so cups that I take in each day are consumed over a fairly long schedule and given that fact, it's probably not even excessive, depending upon which report you read. I try only to read the ones that support the behaviors I embrace. That way I support those who support me. Doesn't that sound very reasonable to you? I knew in the end we could find common ground (I prefer between medium and dark roast) and I'm not surprised it has something to do with Community.

I passed the heart test. It was unscheduled. One day this week, early in the morning darkness, I was out unlocking our shop buildings, minding my own business, when, as I walked by our dumpster, suddenly a huge calamity broke out in that container. It sounded like a mountain lion was trying to get out but it was only one of those big feral cats who shot out of that thing nearly scaring the living daylights out of me. I can only imagine what kind of marks my EKG would have smeared all over the page had I been hooked up at the time. I hate being so skittish. About the time one set of cats move on, another set moves in. The other morning I drove up to the gate and a few feet away there sat one of them, a big one, looking like he owned the place, sitting there, just staring. I hollered and said, "What are you looking at?" I think he may have smirked before he turned and loped away. He could have easily put out the word for a little scare test to be conducted. That may have been a 'hit cat' in that dumpster just to see the old dude jump. Did I ever tell you that I'm not very fond of cats? Just for the record: I'm not very fond of cats. I hope you don't think these little creatures actually frighten me. They don't bother me at all. In fact, just to prove it, I have changed my route in the morning so I don't pass by that dumpster. That will show them.

That little story was mostly crafted to be funny. Mostly. We have come to the end of another week of our time together each day and I have enjoyed our visits. I've shared some of the stuff that goes on around me and my comings and goings. I hope something brought you a smile. I have also attempted to remind us all of where our daily bread comes from. That being the Lord God Himself. It's me, one beggar, telling you, another beggar, where to find food. Daily. In fact, for me, it's a minute by minute need. The older I get it is the more that I realize this truth. Many times I have thought that I had it covered, that I could do it on my own, but, I have learned the truth from a great song, "I can't even walk without You holding my hand." We learn like Moses who told the Lord, "If you don't go with us, then I don't want to go." (My paraphrase from Exodus 33:15)  For those who are much younger, I say, learn the truth about this need of God's presence as early as you can and embrace it as a way of life. Okay. We now say farewell to this week and make our way towards our Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I pray that we all will take the time to recognize and give proper honor and glory to the God who gives us the next breath we breathe. Have a great one and we will all wait to see, if, when, and what shows up on this page. May God bless. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: