Thursday, October 4, 2012

Are you talking to me?

Whether you are ready or not, Thursday is here, and I bid you welcome to our short visit here on this October 4, 2012. We live in a world where identity theft is an ever present part of everything we do. That's bad. About as bad is when your cell phone number gets integrated into the records where someone is being sought after around the clock. You betcha, they do have my cell number associated with a particular individual. I do not know this person and I have informed the callers of that fact, very clearly, very emphatically, and, after many calls, very loudly. Now they have turned it over to an automated calling system and I get these calls at least twice a day. Here's what's amazing. There is only one person in the United States that has this man's name. I located him, his address, and his phone number in less than 5 minutes of searching on the internet. I thought about calling the fellow but I can't see how that would change the situation. He lives just 45 minutes from here. Now I just ignore these prerecorded calls that come twice a day. They have my cell number embedded and even the live person or two I talked to would not delete it. It reminds me of that news story years ago about the old person sitting in front of the social security employee. The government had recorded that person as being dead and they were trying to prove that she was still alive and well. The clerk said they would have to wait until they could verify it with the authorities. See what I mean?

I don't know why they are looking for this fellow but my guess is that it's not to tell him about a huge inheritance he is due. In many ways this situation is a great example of how life goes in this technology driven world that we are privileged to live in.  I would never want us to think there are not good things that have come as a result of the technological progress God has allowed us to make. In medicine, communications, along with a variety of discoveries and breakthroughs have delivered advancements that make our lives better. But, there is almost always a downside. The other day there was some kind of Hack Off celebration where those geeky folks who hack into other people's computers worked together to show how flimsy the security is on some of the reportedly most protected sites. Here's the deal. Everything we use as it relates to computing had to be developed and programmed by a person or persons. This includes the security programs used to protect our computers. People. There is always someone, somewhere, smarter than those who made those programs. Some of these super smart folks are inclined to evil and some are just in it for the fun of it, they are bored, but, it is a reality, and sadly, we do have to consider it as we operate our lives in this brave new world.

I've written often over the years about the influence of smell in triggering memories. One day this week I had that happen again. It was a very cool morning and I was out unlocking all of our facilities, in the dark, and the fellow next door had been burning a wood pile. The breeze carried that smoke smell and suddenly I was transported back to those days when my grandfather and us boys would camp out on a hunting trip. He would always be up before daylight, stirring the fire, and preparing us a hearty breakfast. Fried eggs, fried squirrel with gravy, campfire biscuits, (He called them sinkers because of their weight.), homemade fig preserves, and some boiled coffee (Seaport was his brand.). I know that fellow next door. Maybe I should call him and thank him for the wafted smell that brought me a wonderful short trip down memory lane. It wasn't all fun and games. We were typically damp from the dew having slept in the back of that pickup truck and we would wake up shivering like crazy. But, my oh my, talk about some good eating, you better believe it. Those were the days folks and I do thank God for every one of them. Yes I do. Have yourself a good day and maybe you will run into a smell that will trigger a good memory or two along the way. May God bless. Amen.        ....More later.

No comments: