Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Forgetfulness transforms every occurrence into a non-occurrence." Plutarch (AD c.46-c.120)

I had something really good for today. I think it came to me when I was out on the highways and byways in and around our busy roadways. But, alas, I can't get hold of it as I sit here looking at the screen. It happens. The good news. I will have to remember it before I can tell you how much we missed by me not having it available. But, on with the day. It is Wednesday, October 17, 2012, and I bid you a hearty hello. It could be that I thought I had something really good but I really didn't, so, trying to remember something I never had in the first place could be very frustrating. I told you. Being me is not just a simple tip toe through the tulips. Speaking of remembering, I did hear an interview on the BBC with a lady who suffers from a disease called 'face blindness' (Prosopagnosia). This is a somewhat rare, (less than 2% have some form of it), but serious brain disorder that prevents facial recognition. The part of the brain that processes the face does not function properly, therefore, people who have this ailment cannot recognize or remember anyone by their face, including themselves. People who have this ailment are taught to use other factors in recognizing people based on their voice or other mannerism. This lady told about how she first got hold of knowing she had this problem. She was a child being picked on by two older kids at boarding school. When she reported it she was unable to identify her attackers. I suppose we should be thankful that while we at times might wish we couldn't remember our own image, it would be nightmarish to suffer from something like this. Therefore, whether I had something good or not, or whether I can remember if I did or didn't, I end up being thankful for the faculties God has given to me that still do work. Amen.

I received a note on Facebook the other day from a fellow I have not seen in at least 50 years. He was commenting on the white beard and wondering if we all came together would any of us be able to recognize each other. This fellow has become a very prominent painter of land and seascapes. His paintings are sought after. He is a guest lecturer at museums and college art classes. His paintings fetch some pretty good prices. He was actually one grade ahead of me, in my sister's class. I have always been a doodler and sketcher. I can remember this fellow and his art work in high school. He had done some report regarding the history of Rome and it included his hand drawn illustrations. Because I was always drawing, someone wanted me to see his work. I still remember how impressed I was. He had the details right. He could draw with depth and used shadowing. It's not that surprising that he went on to become an accomplished artist. Had something like that happened to me, folks would wonder if I was like the monkey who spilled and splashed paint all over a canvas. The image above is one of his paintings. Blue Lagoon, oil on canvas, by Larry Leach, (Class of 1963).

Surrounded. We are surrounded by needs. We just found out a dear friend has prostate cancer. One of our little guys in our local fellowship has had to undergo emergency surgery. Our beloved aging missionary in the Philippines has recently been hospitalized with high blood pressure. Our children and grandchildren face issues each day. Our local fellowship is seeking God's help and direction as we seek to move forward for His honor and glory. Surrounded. Others near and dear to us are mourning the loss of a loved one. Surrounded. The encouragement cards our Church sends out each week for those who are sick, hurting, or serving our nation in the armed forces must easily number over 100 folks. It can seem overwhelming at times. However, we are reminded that we have God on our side, (Romans 8:31). Yes, we sometimes try to figure out ways to fix things on our own but it's good to know that God is our refuge and our strength (Psalm 46:1). We need to seek Him, first, last, and always (1 Thess 5:17). Psalm 20, verse 7, reminds us: "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." And, in addition to all of these and more, I have to, every single day, deal with me. I can tell you by long experience, doing that one each day requires constant prayer. Go out there and have yourself a wonderful day and if you can't think of anyone else to pray for, send one up for me. Amen and thanks.               .....More later.

No comments: