Thursday, October 11, 2012

When it is all said and done, that which is on the inside is what really counts!

I bid you a Texas sized welcome here on this Thursday, October 11, 2012. That fits the 'everything is bigger in Texas' profile that is so well known, literally, around the world. When we were in Great Britain and the people found out we lived in Texas, they actually wanted to know about our big ranch and wondered why we were not wearing our western boots and hats. They were disappointed when we explained our urban lifestyle. Why? That fantasy world does provide some escape value. Their thoughts about Texas was based on television and movies. They thought Texas and saw from the prairies to the mountains, you know, the cattle are lowing and the buffalo are roaming. Not just them. I can remember going places that were so pristine, so beautiful, and so untouched, but, the folks living there knew it but didn't make it a part of their daily routine. Why? They had chores to do, jobs to take care, children to see after, and a variety of other duties to worry about. Just like you. Just like me. This can also happen to us when we neglect remembering who we really are in Christ. We are who He says we are, regardless of what might be going on around us. We know it, but we often fail to allow that reality to define our daily approach to life.

When asked about a Bible verse for life I typically give The 119th Division of the Psalms, Verse 105, even though I don't particularly like trying to settle on a verse for life. Maybe it takes the whole book for me. That verse has this to offer, "Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Our season here is changing. During the summer months I can pretty much open up our facilities without my handy little flashlight, but, now it is very dark, and without that light I would be stumbling and fumbling around. That verse applies. I need to have that light to make sure I don't step on an object left laying in my way. I also need that light to help me to make sure I am going in the right direction. Just focusing only on my feet might keep me out of an immediate obstacle, but, I also might end up out in the middle of the field. Some have said this verse might reflect a shepherd making his way down the side of the mountain. He needed a lamp to make sure he stayed on the right path. He may have tied a lamp onto his leg. But, he also needed a light to make sure he was headed in the right direction, to his home. Believe me folks, I need both, every day, here at work, and more importantly the lamp and light of God's Word to keep me out of the pot holes of life and to help me to be focused on heading towards my heavenly home.

I suppose I am waxing somewhat theological this morning. That's okay because if I didn't include my own struggles and spiritual needs, I would be leaving out not only what makes me who I am, but, it would be a less than accurate picture of the view from here.....of me, myself and I. I suppose that's why so many of us can identify with that old Southern Gospel song, "I'm just a sinner saved by grace." As the late Dr. McBryde always said, "That's what makes all of us fellow strugglers." For those who think maybe they have been in the dark too long, well, go read about the young man Jesus talked about in Luke Chapter 15. He left his home where he belonged and went out to enjoy himself in the world. He took his inheritance early and blew it all on wine, women, and song. He was a Jewish boy and a worse fate could not be imagined, he ended up down in the slime with the hogs. The good news. He remembered that he had a father and he came to his senses one day and decided to go back home. He knew what he had done. He just wanted to be back home. Dad, to his surprise, was anxiously waiting for him to return and when he saw him coming down the road, he got up and ran out to meet him to shower him with love and forgiveness. That account was given to illustrate what happens to a believer who loses their way. If they are a child of God they never lose their identity as His son or daughter, and, they are always welcome to come home, to the Father's House. Good preaching brother. Why? Because it is true, my friend, it is true. Amen.            ......More later.

No comments: