Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Southern drawl can be described as a gliding diphthongization of stressed vowel. For example, we pronounce “yae-yis” for “yes”. “ti-ahm” for “time”. “ah” for “i”. "Ah'm dyoo home at fahv o'clock” means “I am due home at five o’clock”. (copied)

Welcome. It is Wednesday, September 19, 2012. If you wanted to greet all 7 billion people on the planet, you would have to learn how to say hello in 2,796 different languages, and counting. Now that would be a rather tall order. I think perhaps I will stick with the one I've mastered in terms of mangling. I've recently been recording some of my Bible lessons to send to my wife's brother Milton. Oh my. It's hard to listen to yourself. Surely I don't drag out my words like that. Do I? I think it must be worse than I remember it from years ago when I had reason to record some of my speaking opportunities. I may need to check with my grandson Alex because one of my throat boxes seems to be stuck on slow speed. The fellow helping with the recordings asked if I was pleased. I told him they were excellent except for the speaker but I didn't think he could do much about that. The only good news is the fact that my source material comes directly from thus says the Word of the Lord. Slow, medium, or fast, I am convinced that giving out the truths found in God's Holy Word cannot be improved upon. Amen.

In case you have been waiting, the 2013 edition of Guinness World Records is now available. You will be happy to know that the smallest in the world roadworthy car is 41" high, 26" wide, and 52" long. That is correct and just so you know, it's a wind up. The world's shortest man hails from the Philippines and stands 23-1/2" tall. This record was achieved on his recent 18th birthday where a medical clinic measured and recorded his height four different times in a 24 hour period. I know what you are thinking. You know where he could find a car. Right? Also of note, the highest flame blown by a fire breather was 26 ft 5 in, and was achieved by Antonio Restivo (USA) at a warehouse in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, on January 11, 2011. And finally, the shortest bull is Archie, a 16-month-old Dexter Bull, fully registered in the Northern Ireland livestock inventory, in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, who measured just 30 in from the hoof to the withers (shoulder blades) on November 22, 2011. His parents are Dexters but all the other calves have tended to be much larger. I've seen no shortage of bull around here at the blogger ranch but I'm not sure I can claim any world records.

I would imagine that young man over in the Philippines hears about as many short jokes as he can stand. To be honest, I was blessed to grow up in an environment where my somewhat vertically challenged profile was never made into an issue. However, I've certainly bumped into it since then as I have made my way to where I am today. He's not really that short, he's just fun-sized. I suppose you never have to worry about hitting a ceiling fan. Right? Yep. I've heard a few. I remember when that Randy Newman hit came out entitled 'Short People.' That was in 1977 and even though I can't remember people specifically directing it towards me, they did look at me when it was playing. It actually had a funny set of lyrics. Here's a sample, "They got little hands And little eyes And they walk around Tellin' great big lies They got little noses And tiny little teeth They wear platform shoes On their nasty little feet." That's just one verse and here's the chorus: "Short People got no reason Short People got no reason Short People got no reason To live." Here's one for you: A recent study indicated that those of smaller statue may just outlive their over sized contemporaries. I'll think about that next time I'm sitting on the street curb dangling my short little legs. Ha Ha indeed! All in fun folks, all in fun. May God bless you regardless of your size. Amen.        ....More later.

No comments: